66 520 l13

jerryb

i finally found my 520 in a barn that sat half redone.

my question is on a l13 motor where is the clamp for the distributor?

the motor was rebuilt a couple of years ago and i think the clamp may not have been put on. theres a clamp on it but there isnt a pinch clamp on it? what am i missing?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Jerry! We'd love to see pictures of your 520! Not enough of them rolling around.

Your engine should be a J13 and if you don't have it you can download a manual for it right here:

Datsun Manuals

Big thanks as always to Mike Klotz for hosting and scanning these things!

i finally found my 520 in a barn that sat half redone.

my question is on a l13 motor where is the clamp for the distributor?

the motor was rebuilt a couple of years ago and i think the clamp may not have been put on. theres a clamp on it but there isnt a pinch clamp on it? what am i missing?

So you don't have the distributor fixing plate on page 37? Here is an exploded view of a 320 dist, which ran an e-series engine (the earlier version of the J series in your truck), so I think it is pretty close. Also look up MGB engines as your engine is almost a direct copy of the british B-series engine. (In fact you may be able to bolt one right in your truck, I just haven't seen it done yet.)

I am far from an expert in J13's so I am hoping this points you in the right direction. (You should start a project thread and post some pics of your truck! :P)

320Dist.jpg

thanks thats going to be fun to find!

also does anyone know what model has the headlight bezzle that bolts to the grill? the one i have uses the grill to complete the bright light area?

hey im just figuring this site out. there are two picks in my gallery of it after a hour on trying to figure out how to post them.

Looks like a nice truck Jerry! Look forward to seeing more pictures!

You can probably get a clamp from a MGB. It miiiight fit. And you can even look into EI distributor mods that the British guys do! (I have a 1959 Datsun and it has the first generation of your Engine, but it was called a C engine.)

As I understand it, the J13 is so close to the MGB engine that the head from your engine can bolt on to a MGB block. (British guys would do that mod and gain a few HP right of the bat.)

If you join a site like photobucket.com, and upload photos there for free, you can paste them in your threads here at ratsun really easy. If you look in the FAQ there is a whole thread on how to post photos.

How to post photos

Looks like a nice truck Jerry! Look forward to seeing more pictures!

You can probably get a clamp from a MGB. It miiiight fit. And you can even look into EI distributor mods that the British guys do! (I have a 1959 Datsun and it has the first generation of your Engine, but it was called a C engine.)

As I understand it, the J13 is so close to the MGB engine that the head from your engine can bolt on to a MGB block. (British guys would do that mod and gain a few HP right of the bat.)

If you join a site like photobucket.com, and upload photos there for free, you can paste them in your threads here at ratsun really easy. If you look in the FAQ there is a whole thread on how to post photos.

How to post photos

Excited to hear the results of those sidedrafts! If we had 5 bearing main engines (we have 3), I have often dreamed of moss superchargers, but for some reason Moss says they are for the 5-main engine.

I have also wondered if the British MGB cross flow head mod would work on our blocks. If they use to swap our Datsun heads on their blocks, I don't see why it wouldn't!

Excited to hear the results of those sidedrafts! If we had 5 bearing main engines (we have 3), I have often dreamed of moss superchargers, but for some reason Moss says they are for the 5-main engine.

I have also wondered if the British MGB cross flow head mod would work on our blocks. If they use to swap our Datsun heads on their blocks, I don't see why it wouldn't!

the reason the supercharger is for the 5 main is due to the pressure that will build up in the combustion chambers. it will work but hard usage will bend the crank.

he also said that the head that is on the j13 engine will interchange but he saw it a couple of times but being a mg guy he hasnt done it.