1981 210 4 door a15 5 speed

frodo70444

im lookin at a running 1981 210 with the a15 engine and a 5 speed tranns first off i would love to find interior parts like seats carpet and need a little guidance where to go also the clutch pedal wont move they said the slave cylinder is bad does this sound right? and the brake pedal had no resistance on it and when i push it down the engine starts to run rough when i press the gas it levels out does that sound vaccume related? the fluid levels are all fine the car has set up for a little while the lats inspection sticker is from 07 any trouble shooting help would be greatly appreciated im a student learning how to work on cars at the local votec but im by no means a mechanic yet so please send me a pm with any advice u can spare also the ppl that have this car have at least one other 79 210 2 door with a engine and 5 speed tranny in it im down in louisiana by the way so not to many datsun running around here any advice will be appreciated

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Test the engine before you buy it:

1. Warm up the engine

2. Watch the exhaust pipe

3. Rap the engine to 4000-5000 rpm a couple of times

4. You should see NO bluish white smoke. If you do, don't buy it, it needs to be rebuilt

A. pull the rocker cover breater hose off

B. Squeeze the block breather hose closed

C. What the rocker cover breather.

D. You should see NO smoke come out of the rocker, or it needs to be rebuilt.

Test the engine before you buy it:

1. Warm up the engine

2. Watch the exhaust pipe

3. Rap the engine to 4000-5000 rpm a couple of times

4. You should see NO bluish white smoke. If you do, don't buy it, it needs to be rebuilt

A. pull the rocker cover breater hose off

B. Squeeze the block breather hose closed

C. What the rocker cover breather.

D. You should see NO smoke come out of the rocker, or it needs to be rebuilt.

im not familiar with any of these hoses this would be my first datsun exsperience the blok breather hose is where? and the rocker cover hose im assumin will be comin out the top of the valve cover on the top correct?the engine runs really smooth i highly doubt it was driven very hard during its life it belonged to an older couple

i appreciate ya advice any advice towards what may be causing the brake pedal to go to the floor? and why the engine idles rough when it does until i give it alittle fuel ? and maybe if the slave cylinder would freeze the clutch pedal up? all the fluid levels are fine

Brake pedal moving to floor indicates a problem in the brake system. Probably the master cylinder is worn out. This can happen just due to age (rubber seals age).

Rough running is probably due to cracked rubber vacuum hoses, again due to age, not mileage.

sorry i meant to be more clear the engine runs rough when i press the pedal to the floor then with a little fuel it levels out i really dont feel like i can go wrong with it for 150 bucks it has a little rust but nothin to to major as far as i can tell the interior is shot though where can i find seats and carpet for it any website suggestions? or wat kind of seat will bolt into it with almost no modifications? once again i appreciate any any help i can get i really like the idea of the itty bitty rear wheel drive 5 speed car would it be a bad idea to put like a 2 inch exhaust sysetm on it? ya know once i get it driveable

yep, most likely cause is cracked rubber hoses.

* $150 is not a good deal if the engine needs rebuilding. Unless you want to do the work to part it out, selling the parts individually. Hard to line up buyers, but you could make a profit.

* But if the engine is good, $150 is a good deal, you might have a driver for just a new brake master cylinder and some hoses (hopefully).

2" exhaust will drop your HP a bit. The stock exhaust is 1.5". If you want to keep the engine revved up over 4,000 RPM, go with a 1.75" exhaust. Save the 2" exhaust for a modified engine system (larger carb, intake manifold, high-rpm camshaft, and headers).

Here is the Block breather hose (lower hose in this photo). Crimp it with plyers and see if any smoke comes out the rocker cover

4847.jpg

yep, most likely cause is cracked rubber hoses.

* $150 is not a good deal if the engine needs rebuilding. Unless you want to do the work to part it out, selling the parts individually. Hard to line up buyers, but you could make a profit.

* But if the engine is good, $150 is a good deal, you might have a driver for just a new brake master cylinder and some hoses (hopefully).

2" exhaust will drop your HP a bit. The stock exhaust is 1.5". If you want to keep the engine revved up over 4,000 RPM, go with a 1.75" exhaust. Save the 2" exhaust for a modified engine system (larger carb, intake manifold, high-rpm camshaft, and headers).

Here is the Block breather hose (lower hose in this photo). Crimp it with plyers and see if any smoke comes out the rocker cover

4847.jpg

do i have to unhook any other hoses? and as far as exhaust goes i just want a nice sporty sound if im not mistaken the a15 with the 5 speed should be sumwat fun to drive right? and when i was there i never noticed any smoke comin out of the exhaust but i never reved it up very high if i had to guess id say about 1500ish its been sittin for awhile so i dont wanna tear it up i know the engine fires up faster than my 96 oldsmobile haha that car even had air conditioner on it from the factory guess i was the high class model. another thing im wondering all the silver hoses on the pasenger side of the motor are they emmissons hoses? is there anyw ay to get rid of that stuff to clean the engine bay up? i really appreciate ur takin time to help me oh u speak of performance camshafts where may i find performance parts for the a15?

Yes, remove the rocker breather hose, just pull it off the top. Then crimp the bottom hose.

for the exhaust smoke, you must rap teh engine, vrroom vrrom. Got to get it up to 4,000 RPM for a fraction of a second. Redline is 6,000 so you won't break anything.

will do next time i go look at it would taking the catalytic converter off of that car hurt it? or should i leave it on and put sum sort of muffler on it to give it a little sound?i dont exspect it to sound like a big block chevvy but i dont wanna sound like a bumble bee or a log truck either once again thanks a million for ya time and effort

thats a link to a video i put on youtube if anybody is interested