1971 521 Fuel Line

Blknight692

Hey guys, my 1971 521 seems to have issues with the fuel lines. I think the previous owner 'modified' a bunch of stuff and now I have to fix them all. The fuel inlet/tank is on the drivers side but under the hood the fuel line comes up on the passenger side fire wall, runs along the fire wall to the front, goes through a filter, over to the fuel pump, around the front of the engine and into the carb. All of the under the hood plumbing is rubber hose. Normally this isn't a problem, but when I do my daily commute of 30 miles in the 95-105 heat then shut it down, you can hear the fuel dumping into the carb. If i have to go anywhere in the next 45 minutes, the carb is completely flooded and it is a pain to get running, then the engine likes to idle higher than norm. Is this right? What options do I have to correct this? Has anybody put in an electric fuel pump and ran the fuel lines up the drivers side? Thank you for any help.

I have pics of under the hood but have no clue how to add them here.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gas tank is on the drivers side.

The fuel one run up to the passenger side corner to the filter then to the pump.

I dont know how the gas is being pump to the carb ? its a mechanicle fuel pump only pumps till the float bowl is fuel then goes limp inside.

maybe the carb needle valve is wearing out. If stock carb these is a sight glass and a level line. if too hight this can be the proplem of flooding out

olddatsuns.com your source for free info. ck the tech section

electric pumps need a regulator unless you buy a pump that under 4 pounds pressure. But why?? then you have to rig a wire to power it. Most Morons buy a 7 pound pump and the carb floods out more