510 Brake help needed

electron_si

Ok so some people have read that we are doing a 71 510 with an s2000 swap. Obviously with that much power we are going to need something to slow it down. For those who are running sr20's and built ka's what are you running as far as brake setups. The 280zx would be a minimum upgrade but even with good rotors and hawk pads (or similar) is there enough stopping power. The motor swap should only weight about 50-100 lbs more than the stock motor but will the single pot calipers be able to handle all the load. We are planning on doing some road course days at our local track.

The other option is the "smaller" willwood 11" setup from ermish racing. Its 1550 which is steep but how much are you guys putting into your 280zx swaps with all new/refurb parts. I threw together some quick numbers and it looks like ballpark of 800 with good pads rotors stainless lines and new or refurbished calipers and master

Need opinions on what setup would be best and if you recommend 280zx where and what did u use for pads/rotos/calipers/brackets and how much did you actually spend for everything. Trying to weigh cost/performance.

Still new to the 510's so im trying to learn as much as i can

thanks in advance

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so some people have read that we are doing a 71 510 with an s2000 swap. Obviously with that much power we are going to need something to slow it down. For those who are running sr20's and built ka's what are you running as far as brake setups. The 280zx would be a minimum upgrade but even with good rotors and hawk pads (or similar) is there enough stopping power. The motor swap should only weight about 50-100 lbs more than the stock motor but will the single pot calipers be able to handle all the load. We are planning on doing some road course days at our local track.

The other option is the "smaller" willwood 11" setup from ermish racing. Its 1550 which is steep but how much are you guys putting into your 280zx swaps with all new/refurb parts. I threw together some quick numbers and it looks like ballpark of 800 with good pads rotors stainless lines and new or refurbished calipers and master

Need opinions on what setup would be best and if you recommend 280zx where and what did u use for pads/rotos/calipers/brackets and how much did you actually spend for everything. Trying to weigh cost/performance.

Still new to the 510's so im trying to learn as much as i can

thanks in advance

i'm assuming you have no wheel diameter restrictions?

i did the 280ZX strut/brake swap on my last dime for close to $53. it was 'all you can carry for $20' day at the wrecker. i cut and welded them myself, they had good hoses/rotors and new pads - and one new caliper, i rebuilt the OEM inserts and used redline med wt shock oil. this was acceptable as the valving was for a heavier car in the first place and worked great for a lighter front end. i used cut stock springs and bought the 1" bump spacers off ebay for $20 shipped. i used the master cyl from the same car, modded the pushrod and trimmed the firewall.

this time around it ain't so easy. i have to keep the 13" wheels. so i am using the 280 struts and rotors, but using the Brakeman calipers and install kit from Speciality eng.

http://www.specialtyengineering.ca/datsun_brake_upgrades.html

if you want bigger and better, he's got that as well.