'couple more questions about diesels

Roger

The sn22...how long can one be sitting around before it goes bad? I understand diesels need to be run, like a/c compressors, or they go bad. The shaft seals in A/c compressors shrink up and the refrigerant escapes if they are not used. Using them lubricates the shaft seal .The diesel injector pump is the same?? Needs to be run often or the pump will need to be replaced? Are these pumps available? How about getting the ole ones resealed?

Also, I see that this engine is a 3 main bering engine. The VW diesel is a 5 main bering engine. This Nissan engine is considered a good diesel?

Thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Roger, I have started diesels that have been sitting for 2 years or more, that ugly blue truck I bought was sitting so long that the tires had turned green with moss near the ground, you should have seen the look on the guys face when I started it on the first try. I would say if it has been setting for more than 2 or 3 years it is probibly parts. The engine I have in my red dually now was in the mud on the side of a guys house for a long time and it started on the second or third try on the floor in my garage. The SD22 diesel engine will run for a long time, I had one I sold that had over 350,000 miles on it, and it still got over 25 mpg city and the best I did was 36 mpg hiway. I have never seen a 5 main bearing SD22 engine, but they did make them. The pumps are expensive to rebuild, but I have never had to rebuild one, I found one on ebay that I bought for less than $150. that was new, but they are more normally, but the economy is bad, so? I bought a parts truck that had been sitting in a marsh for five to ten years, the pump on that engine would not start that engine, I rebuilt that block, and threw the pump in the parts bin. If a truck has been sitting for a long time there is a reason, normally people don't park good running vehicles and let them rot. wayno