Anyone replaced a head gasket on a J13?

boxboy

I believe I have a bad head gasket on my J13. Question is, can I replace it myself. I have a top end gasket set on the way that is OEM that includes a copper head gasket. (I bought it just for the rocker cover gasket) When I bought the truck the radiator fluid was low. The PO wasn't into maintenance. He said he just got in and drove for the past 2 years and changed the oil every 3K. Anyway, I haven't driven it much because I am attending to other issues like brakes, U-joints etc to make her safe. But when I moved her out of the barn the other day I noticed a little white exhaust and moisture on the gravel below the tale pipe. I suppose it could be just a little condensation as she wasn't real warm yet, but with the low fluids I am thinking head gasket.

I have torn down a 4 cyl. dual cam motorcycle engine and regasketed, but I want to know if this is more or less complicated. Do I have to take the rocker assembly apart, or can I remove it all in one piece and reinstall? Will I run into seals and gaskets that I can't find? If you have rebuilt your engine, what gasket sets have you used? I only see that Beck/Arnley has complete sets. Do I need to remove the carb, or can I get to the manifold without taking off the carb so I don't have to fuss with the carb base gasket? If I have to take it off, where do I find a carb base gasket?

Lots of questions I know. I have a very small spending budget, so if I can't do it myself I may have to wait a while to get it done.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you? Simple answer is Yes.

I haven't done it, but the service manual says to remove the carb to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds. You may or may not be able to access the manifold bolts with the carb still on.

You should be able to remove the rocker ass'y in one piece "not forgetting to slacken the external cylinder head nuts at the same time." Then "Withdraw the push rods keeping them in the order of removal. The cylinder head can now be lifted off the cylinder block."

Have fun!

Its real easy I did mine on my j-motor when I first got my truck. Once you pull the exhaust/intake side its ready to go,I can't remember if I pulled the rocker with the head but it all went back good and ran fine when I adjusted them back. But ya it wasn't hard at all. GL!