Need an L series tranny.

Hi guys i have a 70 521 and it has recently started to have some serious shaking and nocking noises from the tranny. So i'm thinkin i need a new one. Does anyone near Fort Collins CO have one or know of someone where that would for a fairly low price??? Thanks guys

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Transmissions don't usually shake or knock, they growl or whine. Check the rubber surround on the carrier bearing at the back of the front drive shaft. The rubber rots away and without it's support the drive shaft will wobble around and vibrate like crazy. May even make knocking sounds.

Looks like this:

620driveshaft003Large.jpg

BTW the 510 tranny isn't a perfect swap for the 521. The 521 has a flange output that is bolted to the tranny, with the drive shaft bolted to it.

521 tranny:

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

510 tranny (bottom):

trans4speedlongandshort-1.jpg

Ok thanks guys. I've pretty much narrowed it down to what mike said. Its something with the driveline not sure if its carrier bearing yet or not. This may be a stupid question but if it is the rubber on the carrier bearing will a new bearing come with that? If not where can i get it? Thank you guys you have been very helpful. And sorry but CA is a little too far away for me.

I have the same problem, but only at higher speeds and under excelleration. As soon as I let off it's smooth. Does that sound like it could be the same problem or could it be u joints?

Ok thanks guys. I've pretty much narrowed it down to what mike said. Its something with the driveline not sure if its carrier bearing yet or not. This may be a stupid question but if it is the rubber on the carrier bearing will a new bearing come with that? If not where can i get it? Thank you guys you have been very helpful. And sorry but CA is a little too far away for me.

Unknown about the insulator coming with the bearing kit. Last I heard they were made from unobtanium. The Nissan # is 37522 B5001 about $70. Do like I said and wrap a strip of rubber around and clamp it down. Runs like new.

I have the same problem, but only at higher speeds and under excelleration. As soon as I let off it's smooth. Does that sound like it could be the same problem or could it be u joints?

Only way to tell is get under there and inspect. Leave in neutral, block the tires so it won't move and jack at least one wheel off the ground so you can rotate the drive shaft. If the rubber is rotted the drive shaft will wobble around by hand easily. If it's firmly in place try the U joints next. Position yourself at 90 degrees to the drive shaft and grip both sides of the U joint by hand. Try to push with one hand while pushing with the other then switch. Do this in four 90 degree positions on the shaft. There should be NO looseness felt in the side to side direction. Now try twisting the two sides of the U joint in opposite directions... again there should be NO noticeable looseness felt. Now check the other two U joints.

A drive shaft is a heavy mass that is precision balanced and spins at high speed usually more than 3 times as fast as your tires. ANY looseness in a U joint will allow the drive shaft to move off center and the balance is lost and it wobbles causing severe vibration.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.