Ball joint spacer and narrowing front

labguy

I found a photo of someones ball joint spacer and have an idea for spacing the ball joint as well as narrowing front by 1" each side. The idea is to use a 4" long peice of channel iron 2" thick mounted "c" shape down welded to the lower control arm. I'll move this ball joint mount inboard as far as possible (around 1 1/4") while still allowing the stock lower shock mount to be used. For the upper, longer bolts and spacers will move the arm in. I'll be removing the inner fenders (or trimming) and extending the top shock mount up a couple inches so I can use the stock length shock. I'm thinking I'll need to cut down the tie rod ends to account for the narrower front. Has anyone tried this or a similar approach and does anyone see any inherent problems with this idea? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt do that. moving just the lower ball joint up will raise you instant center and mess with the way you rig handles severly. if thats all it took companies would not make drop spindles they would sell ball joint spacers. you can use a spacer in the rear ie (lift/Lowering block) becuase it not changing the the arc of the suspension. google instant center you will see what im talking about. if you do decide to make your ball joint spacer please raise your upper control mount the same disance as your spacer so it will stay some what in spec but be ready for some nasty bump steer! keep ya hands at 10 and 2....

Just wondering what the purpose of narrowing the front for? If you purpose is to fit super deep dish rims and try to make it still fit within the stock fender then my suggestion would be to just flare the fenders. Use like ZG flares or the like. Then again wide front tires doesn't help with arrow dynamics and road noise.