Where does one get a floor pan for an '81 720? Anything else you can use?

Hi, I've got a Datsun 720 from 1981 which has enough rust in the floor to see the road pretty nicely. I've got a guy who said he'll give me some mig welding lessons and I'd love to learn. He said that I'll need to get some floor pans and I'm not sure where some good places to look are.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in New York if that helps zero in.

Thanks!

~RK

p.s. will post pics

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Dwnshfter may have said to use JBweld :lol:. If it's just a small patch I would get down to your local metal supplier and have them cut a piece to fit. Hardware stores charge a small fortune for their metal and you get a fraction compared to a steel supplier. I've used pop rivets and seam sealer to do a small patch before, but a welder is obviously ideal. Welding is kinda like painting a house in that pretty much anyone can do it, just not everyone can do it pretty. If you follow the settings on your welder for the thickness of material you're working with, you shouldn't have much trouble. All I can say to a beginner welder working thin stuff, would be dont stay in one place too long and you're aces. Dont be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and teach yourself something. Good luck

Well, the guy who offered me welding lessons rebuilds old VW buses. He took a look at it and said that my floor is rotted enough away that there's not really anything stable to weld onto. Course I drove the damned thing across the country with holes in the floor so I figure anything more is better and he might be a little picky if he's doing restoration.

I'm happy to give a go with learning welding on her, and shape the sheet metal in. She's a sweet truck indeed and I'd love to have her patched up, never was much of a beauty but I can do it. Thanks for the paint a house metaphor, that gives me a good idea here.

Anyways, I guess these floor pans are pretty hard to come by then? Any recommendations on yards that might have it or is my guess as good as any? I guess someone would have to find ones that are cherry AND someone willing to cut them out and at this point, it might not be worth it. Thanks ~RK

If you use sheet metal, cold roll steel is better then mild steel for floor pans. If you take the time and make your pieces out of card board it will make the job easier and most shops can shear it for you. Most people use 18 gauge steel but 16 gauge will be easier to weld if you have never welded but harder to form at home. If you make the card boaed patterns and they need to be formed a shop with a break can do this for you.