94 Toyota Hilux XCab 2wd

It started off as a Toyota Pickup, Xcab with the DLX trim, automatic, door vents, air conditioning, powersteering, 2WD.

It had 14"x6" steel wheels that are wrapped in 205/75/R14's, those had some 5 hole hubcaps, aluminum.

It had cruise control, AM/FM radio with a cassette tape player. The seats were split bench 60/40 up front.

This Toyota Hilux featured the 2.4L 22RE, known as the family of truck motors that were invincible, on and off the road.

Such motor runs off 8 valves, a sohc, 4 pistons, EFI, and by the power of gasoline.

It transfers power to the A43D 3speed automatic with Overdrive, hydraulically controlled.

This goes down the 2 piece driveshaft and ends up at the 7.5" rear axle with the open differential.

Disc brakes up front and drums in the rear slows down the truck in a matter of pressing down the pedal.

The original owner sold it pre-owned/ used. My father bought it in 94 for around 10k, if I remember correctly. I was only 1 years old.

This truck has always been in my memories, from sitting in the middle seat up front, pressing the firm but solid buttons to sitting in the back jumper seats where every bump i'd bump my head against the durable plastic trim between the seat back and the rear sliding window. I remember sitting up front and opening the vent windows with skill, to popping out the quarter windows in the back of the cab. I solidly remember being picked up by my two oldest sisters when they began driving, I was in Pre-school I believe. We'd go to her boyfriend's house, who is my brother in law. I remember the times watching my dad change the oil, or rotating tires. For some reason, I drew a picture of us outside, but the truck was in the form of a semi truck. Perspective changes when you get older, I swear.

DSC00468.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

Fast forward to 2008/2009. I began to drive. Well, I already drove the truck without any license, but it was all "in neighborhood", so I was never out on the road for real. But I did drive my truck. I got to know it. Hitting 70mph in the neighborhood.... freaky and scary... totally stopped doing that. I bet my neighbors think I'm bad. Hope not. It was sophomore year, post-divorce. My dad cheated on my mom, and I lost respect for him. Every bit of it.

So my sisters and mom went to get the truck from "his" house.

The truck was left in my garage. I had a key, but I want the truck. I pulled the EFI fuse, that totally prevents the starting of the truck. Of course, the motor turns over if you do put a key, but doesnt start. It was a pretty smart thing I did.

So I got my truck the easy way, as of now, I live with mommy, my other sisters, and my little brother. My dad generally cover the costs of my truck, and still pays insurance, he gets what he deserves and must go through the pain he puts my mom through, and the pains of his own mistake. Do I care? generally, to a point, but not alot. I'm not a heartless kid, but that's how I'm gunna play this game of his.

Back to the truck, I've been driving it, but when I got the truck, it was just a matter of timing. I already made some cheapo DIY ABS pipe intake. works well now, that I sealed it... lol

The truck was around 148,000 miles when I began driving, so it was at the point of needing its timing chain changed. I was driving by fall on my permit, driving all over, not a license yet. I did my timing job when I just barely 16 (I was 15).

I ordered the parts from engnbldr.com (great person for 22RE stuff, literally). As I waited for parts to arrive, I began to tear down my truck's engine bay, ready to install my stuff.

But of course, it was my first time ever. I totally forgot, and I already decided to park my truck..... on my driveway, in the middle of winter. Seriously? yeah..

Took apart everything, drained everything. removed everything, but I was severely impatient to mark stuff (so there's some mixed stuff... lol, and missing)

I had a dilemma, the A/C tension pulley was rust welded... so find a way to fix that, or cut it and get it over with? I cut it.

Finished up my timing chain job with the final help with a friend to help me put steering together.

For months and months and months (the past year basically, 2009), I was battling problems with the alternator/ fan belt. left and right.... basically. I had an autozone belt, kept on popping itself off the damn pulleys, so it meant I had to instantly get back home wherever I was, from friends or car meets.

That issue also came along with teh problem of losing alternator bolts too.

and ground wires.

but those were fixed.

It's late fall and early winter, I had no A/C for the past year. my friend from connecticut (master of gen 3 camry's) sent me bolt extractors. how lovely these things are!

Got my AC pulley free and a belt on!

In the beginning of summer, I had bald tires. Good Years also suck for the sidewalls too.

I was bored, I took off my grille. I went on a cruise. and I got stuck in teh middle of the summer's largest thunderstorm, evar. visibility was nothing.

So was my tires. I did fine the whole winter, driving in ice, slush, snow, it was NOTHING. til I met this thunderstorm.

It was a gradual left bend, wasn't sharp. I was doing 35mph posted limit. rear end swings out to the right, I counter, it snaps back, I counter, it snaps back, I'm countering as it goes 45 degrees right into a fire hydrant on the left side.

I knocked it back 15ft.

DSCN0421.jpg

The day after the crash. I already pulled the fenders and bumpers off the night i came home. Cops were suprised I drove home lol

DSCN0395.jpg

So it was a chance to get 4WD fenders, new bumper, etc.

DSCN0405.jpg

Damage took out the right fender and bumper, e-brake bracket, and my tube crossmember (factory piece).

I had my untouched 92-95 2wd grille :D

DSC06991.jpg

^^ Drove around like that for a while

So for a while, I was rocking black 4WD fenders, black 4WD 92-95 bumper, and a 92-95 4runner valance.

Then I painted those red, my wheels gold too.

And then recently I have gotten 1.5" wheel spacer adaptors and $20 clear lens for my tail lights.

Maintanence wise, the truck is a mystery for me. Idle is never perfect, timing can be corrected, and the automatic is a bitch.

I already did a drain and fill for my automatic today, still need to do it again two more times to get the fluid from "used motor oil black" to "ATF red".

IMG_3636.jpg

I did a pinion seal change on my rear differential, also with a drain and fill too. Gawd it smelled HORRID.

Anyway, other than maintanence and the firehydrant thing, its been vandalized a few times.

Minor wise, there's been food and drinks thrown at it. I need an alarm.

Part two, someone dented my tail gate. Pisses me off, it was a perfectly straight one too.

Part three, some fuckin gangbanger kids from teh public high school broke my windows. I need a M1 Garand and a day off of school. The side windows and rear I installed my self, teh windshield was installed on driveway by discount shop for $151, i'm satisfied.

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

Ever since these incidents, I've been parking in front of my school, I dont give a shit what the staff says. my reply would be that I feel unsafe parking else where.

Mod wise :

B/J flip up front

IMG_2783.jpg

cranked torsions resting on bumpstops

3" blocks in the rear ($30 with ubolts)

DSC07018.jpg

4WD fenders (red)

4WD 92-95 bumper (red)

4runner 92-95 valance

painted 92-95 2wd grille flat black, so are the corner lights.

DIY Intake (3" ABS with 2" ram air)

DSCN0691.jpg

gold steelies

clear tail lens with sprayed reflectors ($20 freeshipping Ebay)

Sony HU, Kenwood 4" tweeters (already on truck before i drove), and good deal on Sony 6x9's. I have a 12" sub in a box that I need an amplifier so I can hook up to my truck.

Took me a season to install these with proper enclosures (DIY? lol)

IMG_2780.jpg

SSPX0025.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

Just a summer day.. sigh, red wipers.

DSC06540-1.jpg

Red signals.. :facepalm: this was winter, 08-09 I believe

DSCN0105.jpg

lmfao

DSC06666.jpg

Before the fire hydrant

DSCN0300.jpg

What prevents me from removing bumpstops and going lower.

IMG_2787.jpg

Before cranking torsions...

DSCN0535.jpg

Black front end (got pulled over by sheriff for exhaust and front plate, she let me off free because i cut of the license for her :) )

DSC07117.jpg

Halloween

IMG_1076.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old smoked tails (rc window tint)

IMG_1525.jpg

Dent on tail gate

IMG_1060.jpg

Painting Fenders and Bumpers (cold autumn day)

IMG_1630.jpg

Hubcaps yo (these will return)

IMG_1648.jpg

First time painting wheels gold

FLYING YOTA

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

A while back.

IMG_2052.jpg

Untitled_HDR3.png

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IronMan fenders are currently being "refinished". that is if I ever pick them up and respray. its sitting 2 feet from me lol.

IMG_2648.jpg

Recent Pics (passenger side valance is a lil off, zipties snapped when i hit some snow/ ice chunk on road)

This is what it is now.

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

My Exhaust

IMG_3632.jpg

So some of you may ask what's my plan for the truck.

I want to get my hand on a welder. That's what I really need.

The truck's end product would be an off frame project, when finished, the cab and bed will be placed on.

In its fully finished form, I'm looking at a fully welded up frame, in a layout slung low and similar to a 1/10th RC car touring chassis.

This means IFS and IRS with coilovers. The truck will be static, it will ride smooth, it will ride sexy. The rear, may, get dual coilover setups... who knows. I know for sure that the truck WILL be used AS a TRUCK.

I love bagged vehicles and all, but my truck will retain the bed as a fully functional bed, but you may say i can still bag it.... but there's more. I love to corner, I love corners, I love road courses. Nascar tracks dont count, I love the twisties. My truck's handling build will be designed with control in mind. I wanna lead or chase fast cars in the curves.

As the suspension is done, larger brakes will be included. Mk3 Supra Spindles swap with my truck, so maybe those, and if those brakes aren't large enough, Mk3 Supra BBK :D

Wheels - I'm thinking of 18" wheels, but I want them really wide with wide rubber. These may depend on my exterior. I'm happy with 4WD fenders... maybe fender flares... think about it, wide negative offset wheels :D

Interior will be reupholstered. Carpet will be replaced with new carpet. Seats will be replaced with something different. I'm planning to get bucket seats, heated and fully adjustable would be nice! 93 Camry XLE seats, just need to cut and weld the brackets. I actually wonder if the rear seats will even be used. So the next decision is, how the hell do I get an australian dual cab over here? talk about stretching the frame :D

Which means, 4 leather reclinable seats. more space too. a 12" sub is PERFECTLY suitable for my truck, i dont need window cracking systems. But the dual cab is still questionable, I love my xcab for what it is.

Other than making the interior get updated to Lexus specs, lets move onto the powertrain.

I'm aiming for a Lexus 4.3L Quadcam 32V AllAluminum V8. This is known as the 3UZ, the recent of the 1UZ line of motors.

Why do I choose this motor? You never heard of it I bet.

Found on GS430's, LS430's, and SC430's. These are pretty much a 4.0L 1UZ that's bored out to 4.3L and has VVT-i.

Why don't I just get the 2UZ 4.7L from the Tundra? the excessive iron block doesn't appeal to me.

So after getting the 3UZ, I plan to upgrade the rods (early 1UZ rods were thickest) to something forged.

Twin turbo the 3UZ while being able to utilize VVT-i to the fullest. Large turbos and large cams + VVT-i, I can make this a smooth motor.

UZ motors were never made with manuals. So grab an adapter and get a 6speed from the Supra, or the T56 6Speed. I love manuals. you don't know how much I hate Autos. they are weak.

So from outside the project, it'll be a truck resting on 18" wheels wrapped in wide rubber, sitting flush in VIP Lexus style, with Lexus badges on the front grille and inside. It'll have a Lexus motor at heart, maybe lexus wheels. It'll be a truck still, it'll haul like a truck, but when it comes to performance, a twinturbo V8 in a chassis lighter than most vehicles, it should have the ability to show up fast cars. the coilovers and all around suspension shall allow my it to hug the corners like a Ferrari.

Pretty much, it will be the modernization of a minitruck. You may think that's alot... but hey, I'm keeping this truck for the rest of my life, and it will always be a work in progress. some may say its impossible, but when there are people doing 1JZ's, 2JZ's, and even the 1UZ's, I might as well prove that I can do the same. But I really need a job. So yeah, that's my goal with my truck.

This truck is my dailydriver, and it will continue to be a dailydriver, before and after the work. It will be driven in rain, it will be driven in sun, it will be driven in snow.

Damn, you had some bad luck there for a bit. Truck is looking really good now. Normally I don't care for the xcabs due to how they designed the windows on the side but everything you've done to this changes my mind about that or draws my attention away from that. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Damn, you had some bad luck there for a bit. Truck is looking really good now. Normally I don't care for the xcabs due to how they designed the windows on the side but everything you've done to this changes my mind about that or draws my attention away from that. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliments with the reply! Yeah, bad luck definitely followed me for a while... and it strikes back whenever it can find it (like the auto trans lol).

Yeah, the xcab thing, I view it as a signature on the truck. gave it character, or else it'd be "another mini" :)

I like to keep things clean and simple, nothing too far off. I think spraying my steelies gold made it look much better. I've been told to get lo-pro tires, but since I drive on and off highway, mileage is a good factor.

currently the lastest I got was 16.7mpg, that is including some WOT 105mph runs, setting timing, etc etc.... lol

Oh well, I love old school Japanese cars/ trucks. A Datsun 510 or 620 would be neat too. Hard to find them in good shape out here in Kansas. I love quad headlights, so maybe an early 70's Hilux would do for me too :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So for a while, I was rocking black 4WD fenders, black 4WD 92-95 bumper, and a 92-95 4runner valances.

Then I painted those red, my wheels gold too.

And then recently I have gotten 1.5" wheel spacer adaptors and $20 clear lens for my tail lights.

for all its been through i'd say that this pickups got a great owner.

i have my own fare share of mishaps with my ride, slashed tires. broken side mirror. there are still people who doesn't give a heck what you are as long as they can destroy something or ruin it.

even my valances was shot once with a gun. :(

hope its okay right now. i'm still having problems with the tranny on my ride at the moment.

A little off topic of the truck, but I thought is give some advice.

Get over this thing with your dad. I know how it is, my parents were in the same situation when I was 13. Even though my dad did not do anything to me, I hated him. I played baseball every year from when i was 5 to 19. My dad used to take ne to the park after school and go through drills with me. He was a coach, he worked on the fields, he did anything that needed to be done. After him and my mom split, I stopped talking to him. He would call almost every day, and I would always refuse to talk to him. He was at every single game I had, no matter how far away it was. My junior and senior year of high-school, I traveled to colleges throughout California to try out by invitation. My dad was at every try out. He would drive by himself there and back. I refused to aknowledge him. I could tell that he was hurt by it but I didn't care. I felt he deserved it. I got a call one day after going down to meet the coach for pepperdine that my dad had gotten in an accident on the way home from there and that I needed to get to the hospital fast.

I didn't make it in time. He died 10 minutes before I got there. The nurse handed me a note he wrote that said "son, I am sorry for everything. You look great on the field. I love you, dad."

I never said anything to him. You don't want that to happen to you. I wish every day that I could go back and talk to him. What you do is up to you, but don't regret the decision you make.