head gasket swap

banzai510(hainz)

I had some water dissapearing on my 521 for a few weeks.

So I figured it was the head gasket. I swapt the head gasket using the timming chain tool I got from Shucks.

Well after a few hours I replace the head w/a U67 head I had with a Scheider 460lift 260 dur cam.

I forgot to mark the chain before pulling it off by any way I put the new head on there. Everthing seems fine and truck started right up. But noticed the power wasnt quet there. So today I adjust the speocket. Seems that when at TDC the links almost lined up at top so I figure the bottom one was on but was a tooth off at top. Well I lined the brite link on the dimple of #2 pos. So i will run it and see what happens. It was just luck the the brite link showd up as it take a few turns b4 they line them selves up again. But going by just using the TDC on crank and the dash and V notch it was almost always just right of the dash or just left of the dash(but very much under it) it just wasnt right on. So I figured Ill go by the timming links on chain this time.

I adjusted sprocket to day

see what happens 2 morrow.

go to Kragon to order these timming chain tools. I got 4

http://www.kragen.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=PBI&MfrPartNumber=648831&CategoryCode=3491

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I swapped the sprocket still top end cuts out otherwise most peopl will never know.

Im thinking now if you want a bigger cam then dont waist your money unless you get sidedrafts!!!!!!

I think I got to get a bigger idle jet and maybe new fuel filter. Maybe my loss of top end power?

Ill updats later.

I finally used that tool and was EZ. Only prople peopl might encounter is putting the cahin back its hard to get the sprocket back on. I noticed if you rotate the cam slight left or right. (depending if you have to retard or adv.) it will put a cunt hair slack in the oppisite side for you to get the chain up.

just use a big adj wrench on the center cam bosses to move cam left or right.

fuel pump has to be removed for the ones that havent done this.

• Like 1

I swapped the sprocket still top end cuts out otherwise most peopl will never know.

Im thinking now if you want a bigger cam then dont waist your money unless you get sidedrafts!!!!!!

I think I got to get a bigger idle jet and maybe new fuel filter. Maybe my loss of top end power?

Ill updats later.

I finally used that tool and was EZ. Only prople peopl might encounter is putting the cahin back its hard to get the sprocket back on. I noticed if you rotate the cam slight left or right. (depending if you have to retard or adv.) it will put a cunt hair slack in the oppisite side for you to get the chain up.

just use a big adj wrench on the center cam bosses to move cam left or right.

fuel pump has to be removed for the ones that havent done this.

When I did my head gasket with that tool, I had a helper push down on it while I took all the loose chain and threaded it back on the sprocket until my marks lined up. Then I sort of swung it up and over to the cam and bolted it right on. I know this sort of job is old hat for the L-Motor God :cool: , but maybe someone else will read this thread and can use that tip. I was lucky like you were; my marks somehow lined up the way they should when the whole chain is swapped out :o .

For the money, that tool is really worth it. There are a few tools that are worth buying that lay in the tool box until you need it, and if you have a Datsun L motor, that tool is one of them, IMHO.

Yeah I might have to pull the sprocket again and ajust cam timming.

I think this head is running alot more air. It still cuts out when the 2nd barrel is engaging near the top end. but when it cuts out If I pull the choke it runs better so I need to do soem jet change or another carb change.

Before when this set up(head & cam) was on a L16 it was fine with a 32/36DGAV I had and a 38/38. So maybe this 32/36DGV 5A is jetted differently.

I will figure it out.

Anybody run a DGV with a cammed motor and have a suggested main jet setting on the 2nd barrel?Esp the 2nd barrel.

Hang 510?

Anybody?

My idle is really rough and went for a 50 to 60 idle jet but didnt really make a differece.

I could swap my 38/38 on there then Im sure Ill know if its a jetting issue