I need input on Looking for a Datsun Truck..

Jray#42

I'm a nexbie here, but I've built quite a few Z Cars. I'm looking for a 70's Datsun Pickup. I'd like something that is in at least "Daily Driver" condition, with minimal rust. I do however need some input on what to look for, pros and cons for different models.

I have a WTB listing in the Classifieds. And I'm looking forward to being a part of this group. I'm a DATSUN guy to the bone..

Thanks,

Jamie..

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Jamie! Nice to have another east coaster! Since you know Datsuns, you know how hard they are to find in the east! (And even harder as you go north on I90.)

I look every day for Datsun stuff and will keep my eyes open. Are you wanting a 521 or a 620? Or whatever comes along first?

I would consider the 521, but kinda like the 620.. I really want a really good driver, man.. I'd like to be putting miles on a Datsun.. ;-p

Be sure to type in misspellings for Datsun in your search. i.e. Datson, Datsan, Dotsan, Dotsun. I've seen them all!

Not too long ago there was a beautiful 620 in Maine that was misspelled. Just looked and it was gone. There was a neat 80's custom 620 in RI that was misspelled too. But it isn't listed either. But both of those trucks have been listed more than once and because they were mispelled they will probably pop back up.

I got my 521, which is pretty rust free for a NE Datsun, for $225. So the deals are out there! One that doesn't need work will be a tough thing to track down. I've only seen one 620 and one 521 that were dailies as is listed on CL in the last 4 years in New England. You might have more luck though!

The nice thing is that they aren't too hard to get running again. And they get parked for silly things like dirty points. So I'd go rust free over running any day!

You might have to travel a bit for the right one on this side of the country! I see 20 Z's listed for every one Datsun truck.

Bro.. You're right.. I'll take a rust free non-runner.. I had the oppurtunity to buy one for a decent price a year ago and just didn't. I am kickin myself now.. Grrrrrrr... Keep me in the loop on anything you might find. Any words of wisdom on those trucks..??

Bro.. You're right.. I'll take a rust free non-runner.. I had the oppurtunity to buy one for a decent price a year ago and just didn't. I am kickin myself now.. Grrrrrrr... Keep me in the loop on anything you might find. Any words of wisdom on those trucks..??

As for words of wisdom, other than rust, one thing that can be a pain it the inner front wheel bearing on the 521's is impossible to find. They don't make them. There is a set on Ebay right now for over $200. (This isn't a reason I'd avoid a 521 though! I personally prefer the more classic look of a 521. But a 620 is probably the prettiest truck ever made, just a little more futuristic.) Also the brakes on the 521 were never that good to begin with, but there are awesome Disk adapters sold by guys here on Ratsun. 521'a are a bit easier to static drop as I understand it. Though 620's are easy too. 521's and 620's have torsion bars. 521 is a king pin truck. Any L-series 4-banger will bolt into the 521. Most people ditch the stock carb ASAP and opt for a weber 32/36. I think the later 78-79 620 came with front disk brakes. People will often bolt up a dogleg 5-speed from a 78-79 200SX into a 521 because the shifter lines up. Most 620's came with a long tail trans, that will fit, but the shifter hole would have to be moved in a 521.

Pretty much anything you can think of that can be done to a 521 or 620has been done by someone here. Really you can't go wrong! Get something with a decent body and good windshield and dive in!

As for words of wisdom, other than rust, one thing that can be a pain it the inner front wheel bearing on the 521's is impossible to find. They don't make them. There is a set on Ebay right now for over $200. (This isn't a reason I'd avoid a 521 though! I personally prefer the more classic look of a 521. But a 620 is probably the prettiest truck ever made, just a little more futuristic.) Also the brakes on the 521 were never that good to begin with, but there are awesome Disk adapters sold by guys here on Ratsun. 521'a are a bit easier to static drop as I understand it. Though 620's are easy too. 521's and 620's have torsion bars. 521 is a king pin truck. Any L-series 4-banger will bolt into the 521. Most people ditch the stock carb ASAP and opt for a weber 32/36. I think the later 78-79 620 came with front disk brakes. People will often bolt up a dogleg 5-speed from a 78-79 200SX into a 521 because the shifter lines up. Most 620's came with a long tail trans, that will fit, but the shifter hole would have to be moved in a 521.

Pretty much anything you can think of that can be done to a 521 or 620has been done by someone here. Really you can't go wrong! Get something with a decent body and good windshield and dive in!

If you are interested, I will be selling my 76 sometime in the next 2 or 3 months. If Interested, I can list all that I have done to it for you.:)