Temperature switch

Jan_280Z

Hello all

While working on my Z this past weekend I remembered that my temperature switch on the thermostat body (the one on the top right hand side with one two wires coming out) is not plugged in or anything as the wires have stripped. Two questions.

1. Can someone please explain to me what exactly this "switch" does? I have a FSM and it doesn't really go into detail.

2. Where would one find one for a 280z? I've seen them for 240's all over the place but none for 280z.

Thanks

Jan

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the "Water Temperature Switch".

22120-N4202 SWITCH-WATER TEMP

It is not for electric fan, which was an option on 280Z, but that had a sensor in the radiator hose itself.

I'm not sure but I think it is for vacuum cut-out (which hurts performance if it is working) ... it's odd the Factory Service Manual doesn't explain it.

• 1 month later...

My 79 ZX has 2 water temperature switches with 2 wires and one with one wire. One helps the ECU control the mixture after starting and continously while the car is running. The other turns on the cold start valve so extra gas is sprayed into the intake at start up only. The single wire sensor controls the cooling fan that blows onto the intake near the injectors.

So if your car starts poorly or runs bad these 2 double wire sensors are the first thing to replace.