Steering box Q's

SurgeL320

Im converting my 320 to right hand drive. Ive measured and calculated what needs to be done for the swap but im having problem removing the shaft from the gears in the box. How does it come out. Do i rotate the arm ? The box is still connected to the arm that moves the wheels. Any help is appreciated

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would do is to buy a RHD steering column from eBay australia or Yahoo Japan. The steering gearbox is integral with the column.

If the 320 is like newer Datsuns (circa 1970), the column is one piece with the gear (recirc ball).

1. Remove pitman arm

2. loosen adjusting gear

3. remove sector gearshaft

4. Remove 4 column bolts, and pull column out of gearbox

Again, i'm not sure that 320 is the same, but probably is.

What I would do is to buy a RHD steering column from eBay australia or Yahoo Japan. The steering gearbox is integral with the column.

If the 320 is like newer Datsuns (circa 1970), the column is one piece with the gear (recirc ball).

1. Remove pitman arm

2. loosen adjusting gear

3. remove sector gearshaft

4. Remove 4 column bolts, and pull column out of gearbox

Again, i'm not sure that 320 is the same, but probably is.

Thanks. I was able to remove everything successfully for the swap. the gearbox , gears, column shaft are all seperate parts making the swap super easy. What i have left to do is bolt (reversed) the box on the opposite side and tie everything up . I will post a "How to righthand swap " for the 320 when im done. All parts are reuseable and the only things to buy are the bushings! ...how easy is that? !