Block/ crank/ rod/ piston/ diff/ strength??? L20b

Toasteee

Hello

I am considering a blow through turbo project on my 72 620 with a L20b, I have been turbocharging imports for awhile now ( a certain H badge that shall remain nameless) and NEED to turbo this truck. Most imports i've worked on can safely double their stock Hp ratings as long as it's properly tuned and intercooled, what's the deal with the L20? What breaks first? Is 200whp out of reach on a stock longblock? What about with some ARP studs?

I currently have a large front mount intercooler, Garrett t3/t4 57 trim .48 turbine housing, and a few other parts, there will be NO muffler just open downpipe.

appreciate the help!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock pistons are good for 5-7 lbs like any other hyper-eutectic piston, with the occasional brief stab to 9 lbs. Forged are the way to go for longevity so you might as well overbore to the next size keeping in mind the forged pistons need more cold clearance than the stockers.

L20Bs have an excellent forged steel fully counter weighted crank and strong rods. Rod and main caps bolts are up to you if you want to up grade them to ARP units. Head bolts, use 280zx turbo bolts short (9) 11056 P7600 and long (5) for better clamping. Copper head gasket.

Read Fineline's turbo L20B project:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=1816&page=15