Tough Decision...

TrevDaddy

Alright guys, this truck has taken control of my mind. I'm on the fence concerning what I want to do with the old girl, and I need your opinions.

I acquired my 73' more than a month ago, and instantly began searching for forum ideas and aftermarket parts. I was very eager to drop a KA24 into it, so I started buying parts.:rolleyes:

I tend to jump into things before I really do all the necessary research and well, overall decision making. I knew that someone on this forum used a s14 KADE so I started searching for one. I found an ad on CL for a supposed "70K" KA out of a 96 S14. It seemed like a good deal, under 300 for a disassembled engine with all the big players: block, rotating assm, head, timing stuff, water pump, pulley, fan clutch, both manis, pan, etc.

-First lesson learned: Don't buy a disassembled engine. Who knows how it was taken apart or why.

-Second lesson learned: Look possible purchase over thoroghly. I failed to notice that this was in fact a blown head gasket powerplant with a damaged head. It also is missing big, expensive items like a dizzy, starter, fuel rail, almost positively bolts...

-Third lesson learned: Don't start spending money until you are positive of what lies ahead.

:(

Sorry for boring you with my stupidity. Here is want I'm thinking for this truck's future. I want to restore it with a little bit of added sportiness, like so many other datsuns are done so well. I keep seeing a trend and I like it more and more: Built L-series Rats.

I have spent so far:

$275 for the almost complete engine

$100 for the KA ECU and harness

$60 for a fuel rail and rear main seal

$75 for gas to go get the KA

I am seriously considering selling this stuff I bought and try to make my money back. I also have two intakes for my other car that could score me an extra $200. If I name the right prices and sell everything (fat chance lol) I think I could make $500-$650. Good start towards building a datsun engine?

I want an L20 now. With dual SU's or ITBs. I think that, along with a 5Spd would make this a great sporty truck that is truly Datsun inside and out. I know that building L's seems to be pricey with little return for power, but they are really cool and just seem to fit, literally and figuratively. As for the KA, I could still pull it off, and it would be way more reliable than a carbed truck, but I need a lot of work done to it (prob a new head, machined block, rings and bearings, timing kit, TRANS, custom oil pan, the list goes on). $$$$$$$

So please, I would be very satisfied to hear your opinions. I have seen those ebay L20's for upwards of $1400-1800?!!?! Will it really cost that much to build one? I want above all to do the right thing ONCE. If it takes a year or two just to save for the parts, so be it!

Trev

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, those ebay motors cost that much mostly because labor is factored in. Those engines are mainly for people that don't know jack about building engines, and therefore just want a simple drop-in, bolt-up situation.

As far as jumping into a project head first, I know your pain. I'm currently at a crossroads, wondering if I should proceed with finishing my KA project(well, actually re-writing my KA project into a KA-T project), or abort it all together and head down the long, dark SR path.. it looks pretty bleak, either way.

I guess it all depends on what you really want:

Do you want as much power and dependability that the KA swap offers? Of course, as you know, it's gonna cost you, both time and money.

-or-

You CAN stick it out with the L-series; there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. If you can do that, I envy you. But you have to ask yourself, why did your interest wander away from them in the first place? I think it's SOO much less expensive to hang around in that pond.. however.. it's a small pond, and doesn't seem like there's much room for growth. I've got a shop FULL of L-series stuff that I'm just plain not all that excited about anymore. Yeah, I like them, I never said I don't.. I just want MORE. A challenge, if you will.

Edited by MicroMachinery

depends what you want with it i guess

if you appreciate an engine for more than just what it puts out, id say stick to L series. have fun with some nice carbs, knock up a nice exhaust for it and just drive it. could keep it progressive even, so find a stock L20 and 5spd and jam that in so it's done, make do with the existing carbs till you got some money for some better ones, whack those on and tune em good, maybe mess around with a nice airbox one day, work on exhaust another time, get it sounding and looking sweet, a few choice other bits like maybe a cam, maybe ditching factory clutch fan for thermos, a few bits polished or painted up here and there, have some cash for a lighter flywheel when you gotta do the clutch next... i guess the point is, having something that you can do stuff to and have fun with

least that way you've got something on the road and happy, something to drive and love, rather than a pile of parts and a long list of "gunna do's" with the associated hold ups for each one, which might get to you after a while and you might be thinkin of giving up and doing something else. ive got a few projects going at the mo, i cant wait to have something simple and basic to just work on whenever i feel like it and get a result rather than having to chip away at progress and having it still sitting in a garage doing nothing

l moters are getting more expensive to build parts are getting hard to find and that is driving prices up. for the price it would cost just to build a head the way my l head is built i could do a ka swap. for the price of my weber 45 set up i have with a mikuni manifold i could rebuild a dual am ka. dont get me wrong i love my l . but when you start weighing the pro's and the cons a dual cam ka wins. i have driven a built 2 liter with ka power it was awesome! It sounded like a cam'd out v8 at idol. but it was right on the verge of not being street able. in fact the guy who owned it pulled it because it was a wild engine and new it would only last so long. He decided a ka would be better off in the long run. what you should do is figure out your power goal's write down how much the parts will cost to do each engine do the pro's and cons then look at every thing and figure out what you want to do .

personally this will probably be my last l in less i get a wild hair up my ars and build a big bore 2.3 ;) i like torque

Your already got a pile of KA parts, stick with that. You'll be WAY happier with the KA than you'll ever be with an L. They are great engines, I have one in my Frontier with 170k on it. So just find another engine, and use the one you have for spare parts. It's always nice to have extra pieces like that lying around.

Thanks for the notes guys. Fuel injection seems better for everyone, especially since this truck will be driven in all seasons.

I figured the price of Lseries stuff would only go up, and so I just started grabbing parts. I'm going to rebuild this engine, so I know it will run as well as the work I put into it.

The KA also has turbo potential, something I've always envied. Plus, the fact that I'm converting a carbed truck over to more modern standards is pretty cool if you ask me...

My Goals:

Overall reliability and longevity.

Throttle Response

~180HP ~160Ft/Lbs initially, ~275HP ~250Ft. Lbs. after turbo.

Forged internals, bored .20 over, balanced crank, ported and polished head w/ dual exhaust cams, light flywheel, emission delete intake mani, and a nice header.

Probably upwards of 2 grand build. If that's what it takes to make this thing bad-ass, so be it. I figure I can run it through the winter if it's taken care of, and refrain from spending too much. I also have a prospective job offer come the new year which will pay $12 an hour (big step up from what I am currently making).

Of course, there are plenty of other little jobs I want to do. The interior will be overhauled, lots of bodywork needed, windshield, basic audio setup, mirrors, wheels, shocks, more maintenance. Hell, I don't care, it'll be fun.