Dimmer switch

flat land rider

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem. Find and pull the illumination control switch plug. It should have 3 wires... Black, Red/Yellow stripe and a Red/Blue stripe wires going to it.

Get a couple of inches of wire and crimp a spade connector on both ends to make a jumper. Push the spade connectors into the illumination control plug to jumper the Red/Yellow and the Red/Blue wires together.

Yes you could cut the wires, strip them twist together, solder and tape them up in the cramped space under the dash and who knows you might even get a good connection but an easy to make jumper works better and if you find another illumination control switch, is easily removed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell ya..This site never ceases to amaze me! I have the exact same problem with my dimmer switch! Thanks for posting that, Datzenmike :cool: Looks like I too now have a solution to fixing the dash light issues from the dimmer switch.. ALong the same lines, many tHanks to your description of how to fix the heater blower switch, as I'm not driving around freezing my *ss off anymore in the winter :D

Edited by Buzzbomb

The 620 may have used several types of dimmer switch. Pre '78s use two wires, so the control is just a variable resistance and gets hot, '78s and up use three wires including a ground and may be solid state, not sure. The 720 uses a solid state type with three terminals. Looks like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Nissan%20Electrical/720dimmerswitch001Large.jpg[/img]"]720dimmerswitch001Large.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Nissan%20Electrical/720dimmerswitch005Large.jpg[/img]"]720dimmerswitch005Large.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Nissan%20Electrical/720dimmerswitch004Large.jpg[/img]"]720dimmerswitch004Large.jpg

Warning: this will NOT make the dash lights brighter on a 620. :lol:

Edited by datzenmike

I am glad this was brought up. I have a similar issue with the dimmer switch. The switch only dimms the Headlight and Windsheild Wiper Switches and not the dash lights. I really don't care too much because they are dim as is and making them dimmer would make it hard to see.

As I learn more and improve the truck, I would like to know if it is bad wiring (doesnt seem so from first glance - no chops/splices/tape) or is it a bad switch?

BTW - I figured out the domelight issue. http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=17732The power wire that comes from the harness to provide power to the door switch which powers on and off the domelight.....well, the guy spliced power from that to run the damn CD player. So, the only way the light comes on is if the truck is running and the radio is on. Then you can open and close the door and the light works...How do you fix this mess? Where should the switch be getting power and be terminated?

Sorry for jacking the thread.

Edited by 79D50

Datzenmike,

Do you know if a 83-85 720 dimmer will fit/work in in the '80 720? There are NO Datsuns in any junkyards around here that I know of except for a single 85 2wd. Last time I saw it, I wasn't sure if it was worth effort for the switch from that truck magically finding a way into my pocket :P Just at a glance, it looked different enough from my '80 720 to make me wonder if it would even work..

All my wiring diagrams show 3 wire plugs so it should. The knob may be different but just turn it all the way to the left, push in hard and turn left and it will separate. Turn fully right, push in and turn right to install it.

:cool: :thumbup: ..Next time I'm out there, I'll have to snag it and swap control knobs before I install it. Thanks!

Thanks also to the original poster for posting this, because I searched this site for a dimmer switch post and never could find one. This has been a nagging problem with my truck also, and now I can fix it.