Project Lola 77 620 build

kaoss

I have two 77 620's. One that runs, but the cab is off the frame, and one that doesn't run (missing a head, not sure why it wont start :lol:) but is all together. Well, I have a KA24E for the one that does run, and it's a huge project (SFBD, New frame fire wall back, D21 suspension in the front, 4 link out back, 5 lug swap, Bags on all for corners, 18" billets, KA24E swap and eventually turbo, the list goes on and on) So essentially I have an extra L20B, and an extra 620.

Your best estimate, what would be the time involved to get the half motor and tranny out of my extra 620, and replace it with the good l20b that is still bolted to my frame? Any one have any time saving tips?

Oh, and for those of you that want pics, you'll have to follow the link:

http://www.806minis.com/forums/index.php?topic=18.0

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to ask, the extra 620 that I want to put the motor into claims that it is a 5 speed on the tailgate. The Tailgate matches the truck pretty good, so I believe it to be a 5 speed. Is it easier to pull both motor and tranny or just leave that tranny in there and bolt the other motor to it.

Forgot to ask, the extra 620 that I want to put the motor into claims that it is a 5 speed on the tailgate. The Tailgate matches the truck pretty good, so I believe it to be a 5 speed. Is it easier to pull both motor and tranny or just leave that tranny in there and bolt the other motor to it.

Unless you have the trans totally drained or some way of plugging it, I would yank the motor by its self. Just support the trans at the bell so it doesn't trash the transmount or break anything. That's how I did my L20 swap.

Guest DatsuNoob

You'll have a plate bolted to the top of the trans near the shifter area if its a 4spd. As for pulling an L-series, pull the bolts from the pitman arm at the frame, and let it fall on the pass side, leave motor/trans together and pull that bitch outta there. Get a drain pan at the tailshaft of the trans for when it finally breaks away, or oil will piss out everywhere. I did mine by myself and it didnt take very long at all. Some guys say use an engine leveler, but it's not really necessary if your chain is longer in the back and shorter in front when you hook up on the hoist. It'll be a game of raise, inch back, repeat and you may have to swing the tail of the trans over the core support to get it all the way out, but it'll work out. Go for it!

It took us about 6 hours total. I had to think real hard what I had read on here about how to identify a 5 speed. Sorry for the cell phone pics! Forgot my camera.

Here is the truck. Think I'll call her Lola.

IMG00172.jpg

Like I said, just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start!

IMG00170.jpg

5 speed.

IMG00171.jpg

The donor motor out (off really!) of the doner, err the truck that I am supposed to be building.

IMG00173.jpg

And it's about 90% in there!

IMG00174.jpg

Need a carrier bearing, and to hook the wiring and the fuel lines up. The wires are a mess, I have no idea what goes where! I'm sure it's on this site some were.

I need one bolt for the tranny cross member. It's the one that goes into the tranny mount. Any one have one?

Hey mate congrats on your efforts. i recently did a mtor swap with a mate to drop my l20 stroker into my truck. its a interesting process.lol we had heaps of trouble with sump pans not fitting. mounting the gear box, and the enging mounts were a nightmare. but last motor it had was put in by the mechanics and cost my three grand. what took them three weeks we did in a weekend. also regarding your wiring, we got tape and stuck it to each wire and wrote what it was and where it went prior to removal. so it made things so much easier. gotta get rid of that air cleaner. do the motor no justice. pretty harsh on the eyes