L18 drop-in issues

xAH510x

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using the stock l16 radiator... did the motor mounts get switched? I'm not sure if that'd make a difference. How much space is between the back of the valve cover(cam cover) and the firewall?

It should be all the same. The l18 block is no different than the l16, aside from it being a bit more stout; the length did not change. It's the internals that are different. If an l16 was in there before with no issue, then the l18 should be fine too. Check the length of the H2O pump compared to an l16.

Make sure you are using the motor mounts (rubber parts) that are stock to the vehicle the engine is going in. Make sure they are the same left and right. Make sure that you haven't swapped them side to side or mounted them upside down.

Also make sure you are using the motor mount brackets (metal parts the connect the engine to the rubber mounts) that go with the vehicle, not the ones that came on the engine.

Also, make sure that nothing changed on your trans mount while you had the engine(s) out. If the mount on the trans broke or slipped off or something, then the trans could be pushing the engine forward.

Although I think you'd probably have had a hard time getting the studs in the motor mounts into the brackets if the trans mount had broken and pushed the engine/trans forward.

I suspect your problem is in the rubber parts of the mounts.