Fuel, will it ever run out?!

1Low620

So, I got the chance to work on my truck today for a bit.... My plans were to swap my axles back out and get the breaks bled. When I started her up, you could tell the gas is bad, not wanting to pull the tank and drain it I figured I would let it run out itself.... or so I thought.

Only had 1/4 tank, ran it for 4 hours.... still has a 1/4 tank!

I pulled the fuel lines and capped them, figuring the carb would run itself dry and tomorrow I would just yank the tank and drain, ran it for another hour + and the glass window is still full?!

I know datsuns are good on gas, but sheesh.... this thing just don't wanna burn the fuel!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the motor is not under a load it doesnt need much to run. Thats why you get worse gas mileage when you run your car hard verses driving slow and easy. At idle it will take a long time. I would just throw a few gallons of premium in it and get it to the gas station for a fill up and call it good.

Unless it's not original, the tank has a drain plug... no need to remove the tank.

Was reading through my manual and saw that! I do believe it is the stock tank, will need to crawl under it in the morning and find the drain plug. Would make it a bit easier than yanking out the whole tank!

When the motor is not under a load it doesnt need much to run. Thats why you get worse gas mileage when you run your car hard verses driving slow and easy. At idle it will take a long time. I would just throw a few gallons of premium in it and get it to the gas station for a fill up and call it good.

Yeah, I set the idle a little high in hopes it would burn a little faster, but I swear from the looks of the window, it didn't burn much if anything in that period of time :eek:

Got to looking at the tank today while I was under the truck. I do believe it is the original tank, still has the California mfg's plate on it. Has got to be the biggest tank I've ever seen under a datsun.

On the tank, it has 2 circular round objects that you can stick a 3/8's ratchet into it, I placed one in there and gave it a few turns and it didn't seam to be a threaded part.

Here is a pic of it.

DatsunProject21.jpg

Now, on the far right ( towards the driver side ) there is also a socket head style nub on the corner, a 1/4" allen wrench fit's in it but it wont budge and I didn't want to risk breaking it off. Here's a picture of that section

DatsunProject22.jpg

The tank looks like it could hold atleast 17-20 gallons! :eek:

That does not look like a stock tank. That one looks like a fabricated aftermarket tank. Are the corners rear square? like it was made from sheetmetal? The stock tanks are stamped in two halves and welded together at a seem around the center of the tank.

That does not look like a stock tank. That one looks like a fabricated aftermarket tank. Are the corners rear square? like it was made from sheetmetal? The stock tanks are stamped in two halves and welded together at a seem around the center of the tank.

Yeah, it's just a huge square tank... almost like a racing cell. Looks like it's been under there since 75, wonder if it was optional.

I have one of those, and have seen another (phatdave had one). They're a pain in the rear to remove, you usually just end up breaking off the attachment bolts.

Honestly, if it runs on the crap that's in there, I don't see why you need to drain it. If it's "weak" just dilute it with good gas (doesn't even need to be premium) and run it. I've driven around on gas that was years old, at least to the gas station. Heck, twice I passed emissions on tank sludge (stuff that was in there 5+ years).

I have one of those, and have seen another (phatdave had one). They're a pain in the rear to remove, you usually just end up breaking off the attachment bolts.

Honestly, if it runs on the crap that's in there, I don't see why you need to drain it. If it's "weak" just dilute it with good gas (doesn't even need to be premium) and run it. I've driven around on gas that was years old, at least to the gas station. Heck, twice I passed emissions on tank sludge (stuff that was in there 5+ years).

put in a few gallons of super for shits, while idle it don't have that tarnished smell now :) next step is to pick up a brake adjuster from Yello620 so I got brakes for the trip to the station. I'll take some pics once I get the tank out, I wont be useing it for much longer :D