Always double check someone elses' work.

HRH

So my wonderful brand new to me hardbody was just going along sooo great. And then after the ORV park (not related I'm pretty sure) I started hearing a little tocking noise. Not rhythmic, doesn't go up with engine speed. Just happens at idle. Does a few tock tock tocks, then goes away for a bit, then comes back, goes away, etc.

Took out the stethoscope, found around number 2 on the oil pan seems to be where it's coming from, unless it's an exhaust rattle or something that's travelling up. Doubt it.

So far have theorized piston slap, loose wristpin, probably not bearings as it's not constant. I suppose it could be detonation in that cylinder, but seems odd because the truck does run quite well. No power problems, other than it's gutless with all the extra 4x4 crap.

Not too happy with the prospect of doing more motorwork when I was supposed to be done. May end up dropping the diff again and dropping the oil pan to see if there's anything I can do from below without ripping the motor out. Almost thought of the tensioner shoe bolt, but no excessive rattle, so don't think that's it either.

NOW I wish I would have torn that "rebuilt motor" completely down so I could have tripled checked their work. The pan was sealed, and looked ready to go when I got it. I pulled the pan off anyway and gave a look, everything looked okay.

It's a very small tock, not easily heard, not like massive I'm going to blow up tock, but enough where it's beginning to worry me. Any thoughts?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I hear that. I bought a "fresh" L18 about a year ago along w/ a Z-5speed. The kid said it'd been rebuilt about 10k prior. Well, it sat around my shop for about a year, then when I got my wagon, I figured, "Hey, now I can drop in that nice NEW 1.8..." Well, so I dropped it in . Fired right up, sounds strong.... ... and burns more oil than I've ever seen burned in an engine.:mad: The way I figure it, it probably IS rebuilt, but by some novice that didn't know what was up. Probably a ring installed upside down or an oil control expander ring not butted. Yeah, checking someone else's work is good philosophy.

Well, since I'm borderline OCD, as most Datsun owners, I took it by my Datsun guru's shop today and he could barely hear it, couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from but basically told me I was inventing things to worry about. :D So I had Joel, his buddy come listen to it too. Apparently my ears are still better than most, despite driving the racecar around and not being able to hear after.

Anyway, the general consensus was it's not that loud, and drive it 'til she blows. So I'm going with that, I'll just keep an eye on it. In the meantime I'll start building that spare KA or maybe and SR, which would be sweet. (Probably the KA since I have all the parts)

And probably soon I'll open up the exhaust and that will be louder than the engine, in which case I can ignore the other rattles! :D Probably why I haven't gone nuts on the 510 rattles, since I can't hear much in it.

But yeah, if I had checked everything out to MY specification, I'd be a lot less worried. And goodness knows I screwed up the first 2 engines I built in various ways.