72 pickup project "t-rusty"

thegeeess

So last time I drove across canada I wound up leaving my '72 pickup at the farm in Nova Scotia. Tarped it but the tarps blew off, and unfortunately didnt park it on plywood. Got back 5 years later and with a scrape on the points and a little tapping on the coil it fired right up. Drums were seized, but I hammered on them 'til they moved and then dragged it around with the tractor til they freed up. Frame still in good condition! But it had some rust problems, mainly the gas tank. I can see right through it. Also the rocker panels are toast. And the qarter panels, among other body rust. I dont have a problem fabbing new brake lines and welding the floor pans, but these are the questions, for now...

are there any other vehicles that i can pull a gas tank out of to put in the truck with minimal mods?

Or are there any aftermarket solutions?

And what are the sources for quarter panels and rocker panels for these?

Basically, from what years datsuns can i cut rocker panels out of to fit the truck? If I really need to I can brake new rockers I suppose. Maybe someone is making replacements.

The quarter panels on the other hand I cant fab myself. Is there anyone making replacements for the early trucks? Or is just finding another truck and swapping better (unlikely in NS)? Or is the best bet to use the old ones and rebuild them?

thanks for your advice in advance

ken

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, photos are always helpful.

There are a lot of parts for these trucks in the NW US, that might include BC. Shipping parts vs. the cost of your time to fab new sheetmetal is probably your primary consideration. I'd guess there is some sort of regulation regarding a safety check or something before the truck can be put on the road. Do you plan to restore it, or just drive it?

@nukeday

Right now im in BC but leaving November first back east. Generally canadian cars and especially maritime cars of vintage get bad rocker rust.

what I'm hoping to do is get it running well enough to use as a farm truck, which is basically brakes, mechanical, and gas tank, then start doing the sheetmetal until I can pass a MVI. once I get that far I will begin restoration on it. I figure use it or lose it and having nearly lost it, I'd be happy to even use it as a farm truck for a while.

@moparvwfreak

dang! its 521, how did I forget that part?