Gas Tank reconditioning

Nate

I have a 72 521 that i just put a motor in but the gas tank is full of all kinds of shit and has clogged my fuel lines..:mad:Has anyone reconditioned an old gas tank...sucessfully. If so can you point me to a write up. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did mine,it was full of rust. First I got some soapy water and put some pieces of cut chain random bolts and anything else I found that was metal. I filled it up about half way and shook it around for about 20min checking and cleaning the water. That will take a lot of the rust off. Next I got some Phosphoric Acid at Home Depot and used that the same way as the soapy water but I let it sit for a few min keeping the tank covered in the Acid. Then rinsed it out. Next because my tank was pretty bad I got Por-15 Metal-Ready and used that to clean it again. Then I dryed the tank using good old Cali weather and a heat gun making sure there's no water on the metal.

Then I used Por-15 Tank Sealer,instructions are on there just cover all holes but the filler neck,and pour it in, move it around abit so it covers the whole tank top and bottom. I think they say to pour it out after afew min. I poured it back into the can and let it sit out for a couple hours,then put it in my garage a left it alone for afew days.

I put afew cups of gas in it to see if it was not going to rub off or flake after I let it sit for a week. Works good so far but will see when I get my truck rolling here soon.

If your tanks not too bad I would just clean it with the acid and afew links of chain.

I did mine,it was full of rust. First I got some soapy water and put some pieces of cut chain random bolts and anything else I found that was metal. I filled it up about half way and shook it around for about 20min checking and cleaning the water. That will take a lot of the rust off. Next I got some Phosphoric Acid at Home Depot and used that the same way as the soapy water but I let it sit for a few min keeping the tank covered in the Acid. Then rinsed it out. Next because my tank was pretty bad I got Por-15 Metal-Ready and used that to clean it again. Then I dryed the tank using good old Cali weather and a heat gun making sure there's no water on the metal.

Then I used Por-15 Tank Sealer,instructions are on there just cover all holes but the filler neck,and pour it in, move it around abit so it covers the whole tank top and bottom. I think they say to pour it out after afew min. I poured it back into the can and let it sit out for a couple hours,then put it in my garage a left it alone for afew days.

I put afew cups of gas in it to see if it was not going to rub off or flake after I let it sit for a week. Works good so far but will see when I get my truck rolling here soon.

If your tanks not too bad I would just clean it with the acid and afew links of chain.

Thanks. I have heard from some other threads acetone and even bb's??? Yours sounds pretty legit. Im gonna give it a try and see what happens. Im hoping that i can clear my fuel lines also. I just hope i havnt clogged them beyond use. I would really hate to re run all that line. Thanks again.