pathfinders are the devil

my wife and I have owned a 91 SE pathy for 6 years now and it has always been a tough reliable beast. The clutch,however,had been going out for the past year or so. Probably longer. So I decided to tackle it last weekend and kinda bit off more than I could chew. HOLY CRAP!! Hands down one of the hardest tasks I have ever done.. That shit is way huge and its like they formed the car around it. I cant even figure how you would remove the starter without pulling the engine. I ended up slipping a pry bar and took a tortion bar across the brow. Got a good bruise from that one. At least I got in deep enough to throw in a new flywheel too. Much better now but the damn dust shield cup at the tail of the tranny got very slightly misaligned and now we have a thin metal on metal squak that resonates...uggh. Anyone...? Im glad I got out of the auto mechanic trade and went back to RVs. No drivetrain work and its alot bigger.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit surprised to read that, changed the starter in my truck in a parking lot once lol. The clutch is pita but what 4x4 5 speed isn't. Since I'm running header and can easily remove the dp's I just yank the motor lol. Way easier then dropping the tranny then having to align it.

Pry the dust cup off the drive shaft no? Or is there more that makes it not as straight forward as it seems?

The biggest prob I have is rust. I have to wear goggles no matter what I do under there, it rains rust bits.

my wife and I have owned a 91 SE pathy for 6 years now and it has always been a tough reliable beast. The clutch,however,had been going out for the past year or so. Probably longer. So I decided to tackle it last weekend and kinda bit off more than I could chew. HOLY CRAP!! Hands down one of the hardest tasks I have ever done.. That shit is way huge and its like they formed the car around it. I cant even figure how you would remove the starter without pulling the engine. I ended up slipping a pry bar and took a tortion bar across the brow. Got a good bruise from that one. At least I got in deep enough to throw in a new flywheel too. Much better now but the damn dust shield cup at the tail of the tranny got very slightly misaligned and now we have a thin metal on metal squak that resonates...uggh. Anyone...? Im glad I got out of the auto mechanic trade and went back to RVs. No drivetrain work and its alot bigger.

every time i have a tranny out with those cover over the tail i end up with that squeak. jack the rear wheels up and have the wheel spinning then just tap with a deadblow around it till the noise goes away. if you think a manual is difficult you should try and auto - add like 4 hours:D

also one trick that most people don't do is to take out the two side mounting bolts on the front diff and let it hang on the top mount. gives you a whole bunch more room to get the starter and those bitch ass block to bellhousing brackets (and torque converter bolts on an auto)