Moving the steering column in a 521

Ok, I am not tall but I am extremely husky, and the steering wheel hits me in the chest, how can a guy move the steering column so there is more clearance, I would like to shorten it by 6 to 8 inches. And from what I can see I think I will have to pull the steering wheel off, cut 8 inches out of the housing and shaft and then weld the spline for the steering wheel back on. Am I correct? or is there an easier way, (IE) some other Datsun I can swap the whole assembly out?

Thanx in advance

Morgan

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can cut the column check my thread ka24-521 there is a few pic's. installed a chev tilt with splined unaversl to fit chev side and 3/4 round weld on for the box side, the center mount carrier bearing support bracket is just about a bolt in column support under dash. Igot the universal from speedway moters.com.This would be a good time to upgrade with new fuse box and all the controls on chev column would plug into new fuse box

you can cut the column check my thread ka24-521 there is a few pic's. installed a chev tilt with splined unaversl to fit chev side and 3/4 round weld on for the box side, the center mount carrier bearing support bracket is just about a bolt in column support under dash. Igot the universal from speedway moters.com.This would be a good time to upgrade with new fuse box and all the controls on chev column would plug into new fuse box

+1 Since I have the EZ wire wiring harness I am going to be using a tilt column from a camaro best thing I think I can do for the interior of my truck

Guest DatsuNoob

Let us know how that works out. I would love more space, I just got a slightly smaller steering wheel, but I'd love a few more inches of breathing room. Do you know how much shorter a camaro column is vs a 521 or 620?

Not a Camaro, but...I pulled a tilt column from a '85 Cavalier with floor shift. Bottom end of spline to top of column (at the face that mates to the steering wheel) is 23". Since it is a FWD the column is pretty stubby. This can be helpful getting around obstacles like frame or exhaust. Added bonus is that it should be direct plug-in for aftermarket harnesses. Thought I'd add this as an option.