New here, just got a 71 1600 truck

Hi,

Great site first off.

Have always loved Datsun cars, never really even thought of the trucks as interesting until I saw my first 71 1600, which was in a friends dads farm yard and said if I got it out of his yard I could have it!

So I just picked it up a couple of nights ago. Body has no rust except the passengers floor. It has some small dents and dings but nothing to major.

I have located myself a 1984 300ZX for $150......RUNNING.........cannot be registered as its a write off. Plan to put the VG30 N/A engine and auto trans into the truck.

My hopes are to turn it into an autocrosser or a drift truck.

My first question is, how can a guy modify the steering column so the steering wheel is not in your face!? Can you cut and shorten it on the under hood side? there is just no room for me in there lol and the steering wheel is wayyyyy to far out, it could be sunk in 6 inches or more.

2nd question, what backspacing of rims are you guys using? I would like to put some wide rims on it and am curious as to what works and what if any mods I will have to do.

Thank you so much in advance

Morgan

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

am just loading them onto the net as I type lol

here is how I found it

datsun.JPG

And these are after it got home

front.JPG

athome.JPG

rear.JPG

net1.JPG

engine.JPG

I was originally going to put the VG30 in a 1200 Coupe and convert it to a carb and supercharge it with an EATON M90 I have laying around. But have decided to do the truck as it was free and the 1200 was $100, and..........well......I guess I have fallen in love with my littler 1600 lol. Would love to convert the VG30 to carb and supercharge it, but I think that will happen later and the VG30 will stay fuel injected for a while

Edited by astro_ss_340
more info
  • 4 weeks later...