Paint

BaKed

hey guys just to keep you updated.....i have gotten most of the major cancer taken care of in my truck....i am looking into some paint but honestly have no clue where to start....can i get some advice of a couple kinds that are friendly to my wallet.....im not looking for anything crazy....just some greys, greens, and blacks....thanx guys

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rust-O-leum actually works very well, and is cheap. Once you start getting into real automotive paints things get very expensive........and that's even if you paint it yourself.

I spent a couple hundred plus on a single stage paint/reducer/hardener. But you'll almost double that when you figure in all the primers, sealers, fillers and such you'll end up using. The biggest tips, since I have just done this, is that you MUST block sand the car to get things flat. Use a skim coat of self leveling type filler to smooth things out, a spot filler for nicks you've missed, smooth it again with a high build filler primer, and spend a lot of time block sanding. Before you lay any paint you MUST use a primer/sealer. Not just a regular primer, but a sealer. Otherwise you risk problems with the new paint.

Or if you don't really care, just get it kind of flat and throw on some Rust-O-leum.

I painted my uncles car with alsa killer cans. Ive never spray painted a car before this and the shit was incredible. It looked like a professional paint job. This is no ordinary spray paint. It went on so smooth and even. Type in alsa killer cans or try ebay. Its a little spendy but well worth it. He bought nuclear yellow. It was metallic and i cant say enough good things about it.

I've painted my car twice and totally agree with yellow datsun. Prep work is key! and wetsanding if you really want her to shine. Plan on being there a while lol make sure you have a lot of beer :D

I've used rustoleum and krylon and I'd recommend rustoleum 100%. The krylon fades very fast and didn't lay down as easy, it was a little harder to work with wetsanding and seemed thinner. You'd probably need more Krylon to get the thickness you'll need. I can't explain it in the correct body work/painting terms so this might not make sense but... I tried.

Goodluck! and let us know whatcha end up doing!

I did my engine bay with Rust-O-leum rattle cans before I painted the rest of the car with real auto paint. My buddy was surprised that the engine bay wasn't done with a real spray gun. I did the engine bay with the spray paint because it's super easy to touch up, in case I ding it doing mods later.

Also, if you want the cheap route, get the Rust-O-leum in quarts, you can order them at Home Depot in any of the spray can colors they carry. Thin it out and spray it on with a gun. Still cheap, but will look much better on large flat panels.