Photos and more photos!

g-mam

Okay, I took some more photos tonight. Even some under the hood photos.

If you look in that front reservoir, it's nothing but thick sludge. The back one looked okay. What am I looking at here? Just removing the reservoir and clean it out and bleed?

You can see the oil all over the engine. I think it's from either the valve gasket, or the breather at the top of the valve cover.

The bed really does look pretty good. That black stuff is mostly stained from the tree crap and leaves laying in it.

Comments are welcome! Since I drained 1/2 the fuel tank, it's not dripping. I can get what the seller calls a GOOD replacement tank for about $125 shipped. I might dig into the brakes before I decide on the tank.

Since there are so many photos, here is a link to a photo page. 1974 Datsun Project

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice little project truck, what are your plans for it? Does it run?

Your brake reservoirs look like mine used to. What I did was take them off the MC and clean them in the sink. I think that you could get by with just flushing the lines with brake fluid and bleeding them until they run clean.

Here's what mine looked like: (you can see the one I cleaned in the second pic)

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee305/weaver2109/Truck/DSCF0101-1.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee305/weaver2109/Truck/DSCF0102-1.jpg

Yes, that's common gunk in the master cylinder. Wipe what you can out of the reservoirs, then flush the brake lines (bleed until it comes out clean).

A shop will tell you it is a must to replace all those contaminated parts (Master cylinder, and all four slave cylinder/calipers). Some shops will say the brake lines and proportioning valve too. Or you could just flush it and drive it for the next 10 years, it'll still stop just as well as all new parts.

If you do decide to replace the master cylinder.. DON"T BUY A REMANUFACTURED!!!! I did and it was a pain in the Ass. There is lots of talk on here about it so I won't get into it too much, but reman's are crap...

If not a Reman, what? Are there new ones for this old truck?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

go to that site, find nissan on the menu tree, go to the year truck, go to 620 model name. They have new and reman available. New ones are about $110 bucks.

You might be able to take apart yours and clean it and get good results. That is what I did to get mine working again.

When they reman them, they hone out the bore too much and then the seals don't work as well.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

go to that site, find nissan on the menu tree, go to the year truck, go to 620 model name. They have new and reman available. New ones are about $110 bucks.

You might be able to take apart yours and clean it and get good results. That is what I did to get mine working again.

When they reman them, they hone out the bore too much and then the seals don't work as well.

Thanks, that's a great resource.

Anyone know where I can get the seals that go between the windows and the door? Mine are all but gone.