Yet another carb question...

I recently bought a stock Hitatchi (California emissions edition) to replace the Weber 32/36 in my truck (L20b). I've been having problems with the weber since I got it, but that's another story. It needed a cleaning pretty bad, so I took it apart and dipped it in that Berryman nasty nasty. Got it clean, but when I was putting it back together I noticed that the spring that sits on top of a brass cylinder that pushes on a steel ball in the accelerator pump circuit was missing. I cussed appropriately and looked all night for it, but couldn't find it. Whether it was missing when I got it or not, I don't know (I was fairly careful about taking it apart, but I wasn't looking for it).

I reassembled it without the spring and after putting it on the truck and firing it up, it races like crazy. I turned the idle mixture screw in all the way in and turned out the idle speed screw all the way out and it still races at 2000 rpm. Warm or cold, choke or no choke, makes no difference.

It seems pretty obvious that the missing spring is just allowing the accelerator circuit to dump fuel into the barrel continuously... The weird thing is that after blocking off every air passage, the thing still breaths.

So this is a call: does anyone have non-working hitachi carb (I don't think the year/model should matter) that they can open up and mail me that damn spring?!

Sadly I gave the original carb away for free... Moral of the story kids: don't fuck with something that works, just cause all your friends are doing it too.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to take the top section of the carburetor off to access that spring that you need? I have a Hitachi carb off of an L20b that is pretty much all there except that I took the top section off and took out one of the screws that hold in a tiny spring and ball and sent them to another member for his crb. If you can be more specific as to exactly where the spring is that you need, I might can send you one off the carb that I have. Dan

Hey 650savag, the part you described is probably the same exact piece I need... If you have a Haynes 1973-1979 620 manual, it's the spring in number 8 - "Accelerating pump parts" (page 57). You do have to take the top of the carb off, and it's under a screw cap next to the main venturi. It pushes on a brass rod that presses on a ball bearing, which I'm guessing stops the flow of fuel until a certain pressure is reached. If you still have that spring, It's worth it's weight in gold to me (it's pretty small, so maybe more ;)).

That sounds like the same part that I just sent to "Comfort Eagle" a few weeks ago. He had posted a thread that he had lost that spring when he took his carb apart and cleaned it. I sent him the spring and ball out of the spare that i have. You might want to PM him and see if he is still using that carb. He was thinking about going to a weber, so he might send you the carb or the spring out of it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Dan