swap or not to swap

Cahoon520

When I started out with this truck I was set on keeping the j13 but now after hunting down parts most to rebuild the j13. I think it would easier just put some thing new that I can easily find parts for.

I would love to to keep the 13 but I worry if the clutch wears out or the water pump goes I am fucked.

What engine would you guys swap into this truck?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to keep the j13. The block number matches the vin plate so

that alone makes it a keeper to me anyways.

I tore down the j13 today it looks like a re ring job will fix it up. I am taking the head to the machine shop to have it checked out and have whatever needs to be done done. I gonna order the rebuild gasket kit tomorrow from my datsun parts guy. I hope to get the rings and bearings from the mahine shop were I am having the head work done.

Do you think milling the head down would have any noticeable performance gains?

Guest DatsuNoob

Depends how much you get milled off. You also have to take into consideration how much valve to piston gap you have at TDC to know how much you can take off. No offense, but if you're looking for performance gains from a J-13 many would say to start with a better candidate like an L or a KA to have a better baseline torque and hp to work with. I respect staying stock and original though. You could even do a swap and do a basic rebuild on the stock motor to have as an option to slap back in later down the road to keep matching numbers.