Questions about my 521

1971Datsupra

The hood hinge is off of an 1980"s model buick LaSaber. I got it at my local Pull-a-part. If you want one be sure to bring your star-bits with you. I picked mine up for a cool 8 bucks! Now the install, well that's a little harder. ( that's what she said!) I had to take about 18 inches out of the middle rod and reweld it, I also had to cut at the end of the middle rods and index it about 6 degrees. I did it to clear my motor, you may not have to do this. Like all other mods I have done I had to make custom mounting brackets on the inside of the hood. I used thin sheet metal and welded it from the inside edges to the middle supports. I also had to cut an edge off of the hinge itself. The lower part bolt holes are mounted to the most forward fender hole on each side, the I drilled another hole for the second mounting hole of the hinge and bolted it all in. I then shut the hood with the new hinge in place and marked where the bolts will need to be welded into place onto the hood from underneth. Take hood off, weld bolts, bolt-on the shut and check for alignment. Now I havent made any hooks for the rear yet But I've had it up to about 145mph and it didn't fly off so.... It does tend to rattle though. A total bolt-on!

All of the suspension is off of a 1989 Toyota supra. I did narrow the front K-member. I wanted the wheels to fit inside the finders. It never entered my head I would have to do the back. I have figured out a way to narrow it with very little headach. I went to my local axel shop and I found that in the entire industry no body uses an 18in 24 splin axel in their drive line. So I will have to either have a custom one ground out or...... cut mine down. yes I have figured out a way. As for the upper cotrol arms I believe a company makes adjustable upper a-arms for mini trucks that use air bags, I still haven't looked into this though.

The bed is mostly cut away (what haddent rusted out) I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. I've been working on my collage work. Totally time consuming!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It took about 10 or 15 sec with the pedal on the floor! That over drive is great! I know a few people that have a mustang club, and they get together every may at the Nashville Super Speedway and hold a track day. I've always taken my Cobra, last year I finished my truck, (made it road worthy) and took it to the track event. I used the excuse that I was doing a shake down run. I did manage to brake my front sway bar and blow out the cam seals (oil every where!) and fry my fuel pump. dang it! I do have some video but I haven't figured out how to get it from my camera to the computer. I'll try again soon. I really didn't know how fast I was going till I looked down coming off the front straight on the last session. I was just out tryin to keep up with the traffic. Yeah Corners + bench seat+ helment = a sliding headach!