Transmission noise '85 720 4x4

Conb117

The 5 speed in my 1985 720 4x4 single cab is getting noisy. Faint rattle/knock can just barely be heard in any gear and neutral when the clutch is engaged (pedal not pressed) but is VERY loud in 5th gear. When I first noticed it after buying the truck I figured the trans oil hadn't been changed in a while so I changed it with stalube gl4 but it continued to get worse. Had it on the highway at 80 for 15 ish minutes the other day and that's when it got really loud in 5th. As of this morning it is loud in neutral when the clutch is engaged (pedal not pressed) and 5th, the rest of the gears are pretty quiet, can only hear it if you really listen close.

I've got no experience working on transmissions so can anyone tell me what may be going on?

From what I can find so far I think it's a FS5W71B short tail for this model, correct me if I'm wrong.

Am I looking at a rebuild? Replacement? Did I just not get enough oil into it when I changed it? (Lol I hope I didn't make a dumb mistake that grenaded my trans)

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic