sohc ka dying on me, need help

Hey guys,

i purchased a 72 510 wagon with a sohc ka24e swap. The car ran great for a little while and now im having problems with it. So the car starts and idles just fine, runs great, until it gets to operating temperature. Then at operating temperature, the car dies out when you come to a stop. The car wont restart for a few minutes (cranks but wont catch). Fuel pump is on ( its super loud i can hear it) I've replaced the MAF, coil and distributer pick up and the car ran better (less gas smell, no hickups in idle or hesitation while driving) but still dies out after reaching operating temperature. Im at a total loss.... bad wiring ? bad ecu? ideas? 

this is why i hate buying other peoples projects =)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not sure if youre serious...but either a noid light  or power probe seeing they have a ground light. or a dual test light with a ground

for the noid light unplug an injector connector and plug in the light and see if it flashes when cranking

for the power probe or test light backprobe or front probe the connector and crank and see if the ground flashes

the ecm pulses the injector on and off with a ground so it has to be the ground wire for the probe or test light...injectors have a constant 12v to them

usually you only ever have to check noid for a crank no start or in his case with it dying out.

its possible its a faulty ecm but would need to look into it more

if the voltages from his maf are correct, hes either loosing spark or noid.

I would first check spark right after it dies out...and if sparks strong and good

then id check noid... if theres no noid at the injectors I would backprobe the ground wires at the pcm and check for noid there. (all injectors share same 12v wire, and have there own individual ground wires)

if theres no noid at those wires then its the ecm.... its rare that each wire in the harness is bad (unless rats)

if one was bad you would just have a misfire...not a complete die out

If you keep your foot on the gas, it still dies? Or is it only dying at idle (foot off the gas pedal).

So, I can feel the car starting to die, and when i go to give it gas to keep it running, its almost as if there is no gas pedal ( car doesnt rev ) 

usually you only ever have to check noid for a crank no start or in his case with it dying out.

its possible its a faulty ecm but would need to look into it more

if the voltages from his maf are correct, hes either loosing spark or noid.

I would first check spark right after it dies out...and if sparks strong and good

then id check noid... if theres no noid at the injectors I would backprobe the ground wires at the pcm and check for noid there. (all injectors share same 12v wire, and have there own individual ground wires)

if theres no noid at those wires then its the ecm.... its rare that each wire in the harness is bad (unless rats)

if one was bad you would just have a misfire...not a complete die out

Thanks for the advice, ill give this a go and see what happens. Really appreciate the responses guys