1978 B210 (Aus 120y) A12 Engine swap/mod advice needed

ChrisTwitch

Hi Guys,

This is probably well trodden ground, so for that I'm sorry.

I'm having some issues establishing what is and isn't viable in terms of swapping out my stock engine for more power and reliability. Part of the reason for my confusion is the differing Australian spec 120y, which I understand doesn't have any of the 610 parts found in other parts of the world - will this limit my choice of engine?

One of the main things I'm looking at doing is installing an EFI engine or converting the current A12 engine to EFI, although a swap is preferable as I'd like to be running a bit more than a 1.2 in terms of power.

I'm fairly new to all of this but luckily I'll have some outside help from somebody who has plenty of mechanical experience albeit with Fords etc.

Any advice here would be most welcome, maybe some of you have done a similar conversion or could point me in the direction of a member who has?

Cheers

ChrisTwitch

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 120Y (A12-powered B210) actually helps with engine swaps. The North American B210 has the mid-sump crossmember which complicates engine swaps (except for L-series engine swaps).

B210 120Y layout is identical to B110 1200, so all the swaps for 1200 work, including SR20DE, CA18DET, KA24DE, Ford 5.0 and GM 3800. See http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_Swaps

The most popular EFI swap is probably the CA18DE. Its more common than A12 EFI conversions.

• Like 1

Ok...a few more questions, I believe the CA18DE would require an engineers certificate if I went down this route, is that also true of the bigger A  and E series engines?

Why is it that the A series EFI conversions are less popular? is it a less cost effective method of getting EFI? I.e. because CA series engines offer more power and EFI as standard its just easier to do it all at once?