Did I get the wrong weber for me 510?

Datsunrider71

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'd make sure you soak the old one in some penetrating oil, or put a little heat on it first, then carefully use a large straight blade screw driver.  You need to make sure you don't destroy the nut on the old carb, because you need to use it with the linkage for the new carb.

You can see in my pic ^above that I re-used the old round nut and lock washer.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd make sure you soak the old one in some penetrating oil, or put a little heat on it first, then carefully use a large straight blade screw driver. You need to make sure you don't destroy the nut on the old carb, because you need to use it with the linkage for the new carb.

You can see in my pic ^above that I re-used the old round nut and lock washer.

Okay let me see if I can take it off

Ready to install?? Any thing else I need to do?

I don't remember, were you involve with the conversations on Weber swaps?

You could slap it together now... 

But, I'd double check the float level first.

I made sure the adapter plates were surfaced and true.  Mine were quite warped out of the box.

I also didn't like the gaskets they give you, so I made new gaskets out of better/thicker material.

I had to use thread locker on the fasteners for the adapter plates.  On my first install, the screws and nuts came loose on the adapter plates.

Do you have a fuel pressure regulator?

That's one of the great debates on here....

If your pressure is greater than what the needle and seat are calibrated for, the fuel will push past the needle and flood the carb...

The instructions say you cannot run more than 3.5 psi of fuel pressure. 

I'm running Weber's fuel pressure regulator plus a fuel pressure gauge so I can keep an eye on it.  My stock pump was pushing 4+ psi....  

I did a lot of research after buying a cheap junk one from the parts store;  This one is fully adjustable, and totally reliable.  I tried the cheap ones from the parts stores, and none of them would regulate under 4 psi.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Redline-Carburetor-Universal-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-1-5-20-psi-/271124944592#vi-content

004.jpg

013.jpg

• Like 1

If your carb doesn't have an idle cut-off switch, you will probably need one.  The L series engine seems to have issues with "run-on" or "dieseling".  This switch prevents that.

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/43914.060.htm

It goes into the upper jet port on the valve cover side of the carb.

Did you buy a manual choke carb or electric choke?  If you have an electric choke carb, you can just pig tail a wire from the choke to the switch.... 

That's one of the great debates on here....

If your pressure is greater than what the needle and seat are calibrated for, the fuel will push past the needle and flood the carb...

The instructions say you cannot run more than 3.5 psi of fuel pressure.

I'm running Weber's fuel pressure regulator plus a fuel pressure gauge so I can keep an eye on it. My stock pump was pushing 4+ psi....

I did a lot of research after buying a cheap junk one from the parts store; This one is fully adjustable, and totally reliable. I tried the cheap ones from the parts stores, and none of them would regulate under 4 psi.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Redline-Carburetor-Universal-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-1-5-20-psi-/271124944592#vi-content

004.jpg

013.jpg

I will buy the same then but fit now can I run my car with out that

I don't know if it will run well, but you probably won't hurt anything to run it now.

The biggest concern is your idle set screw.  I don't have the instructions in front of me, but you don't want the idle set screw turned in more than something like 1 full turn, from the point at which it just touches the throttle lever.    If it's turned in more than one turn you need adjustments on the fuel pressure, float, or jets....  This can also cause the "dieseling" issues.

All the info is in the instructions...  They aren't that clear thought, I had to read them a few times....

I don't know if it will run well, but you probably won't hurt anything to run it now.

The biggest concern is your idle set screw. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but you don't want the idle set screw turned in more than something like 1 full turn, from the point at which it just touches the throttle lever. If it's turned in more than one turn you need adjustments on the fuel pressure, float, or jets.... This can also cause the "dieseling" issues.

All the info is in the instructions... They aren't that clear thought, I had to read them a few times....

I will give it a look see.

So where Dose that cut out thing goes?