Body Swap

Abnrml1

This is a copy of a post that I started on Pirate in the Chevy forum. I guess I should have just said 'mini truck" instead of being brand specific because I was told to ask people that knew about the 720.

I really need some help here. I have a '78 GMC K15 that is extremely rusted out but runs pretty good and has almost new 31x10.5 BFG all-terrains on it. I also have a '81 Datsun 720 KC. The body on the 720 is rust free but it needs an engine. Due to lack of $$ it has sat for about 16 years.

I have some questions on a possible body swap.
1. Will I need to move the firewall back to clear the V8?
2. Can I get some 15" rims that will tuck the tires back into the body a little? I measured the rear track of the K15 and it is about 7" wider than the bed of the 720. I will be putting a flatbed on the truck so I'm not worried about the rear but the front might get me into a little trouble with the state cops.
3. How stupid will it look with the 31s on it?
4. Is it even worth the effort to do the swap?

I'm not looking to build a crawler, just a nice rust free truck that I can take camping. I have posted different things in the nissan forum but I'm lost on what to do. I hate the idea of getting rid of the trucks but I can't just let them sit any longer'

I really want the 720 on the road but I am missing a lot of parts and don't have the money to rebuild everything. The GMC is just about ready to fall off of the body mounts so I thought that a swap might work. 

I appreciate any and all help on this. Thanks.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the philosophy that anything can be built with enough time, skill, lunacy, and cash to throw around. I actually considered something like this recently. I had a '78 Chevy sitting here in the same condition as yours, but the amount of modifications to make it happen were far more than I wanted to take on. As it is, there isn't much Datsun left in my truck!

I have Chevy half ton axles under my truck now and the tires are almost completely outside the fenders. You'd damn near have to get some dually rims to get the tires back in the fenders. Which of course, will not work with half ton axles.

Lil 720s look great with 31x10.50s.

Personally, knowing how much projects like this can "nickel and dime" ya, I think you'd be better off finding a motor for your 720.... Good luck man!