78 620 KC $5,000

Hello Ratsun members. I have have been a constant lurker since buying my 70 510 6 years ago. I appreciate all the information found here -general and technical.
So cutting to the chase. Moved to Ca. from Maryland 2 years ago...ofcourse I drove the Dime. Fullfilled the wife's dream of a horse farm-2 1/2 acres, grading, barn
structure/stalls, arena, 63 miles of fencing etc. Decided I was sick of jamming hay into the back of my Mazda wagon so I located and purchased a this  620 Jan. 1st.
It had a bare metal respray within the last 2 years, first owner-local-had it until a little over a year ago. 

Had a high idle, sorted out a sticking throttle cable. Had a smog tech at work check it for Ca. change of ownership-idle too high to test. Found it was 19 degrees
advanced. Based on years of doing things at least twice I stayed after work and reset the oil pump with crank at TDC and distributor at 11:25. Couple days later
still too high.........hmmm......remove valve cover, SET CAM, drop oil pump again...you know the drill. Passed smog, driving to work and a completely routine stop at
maybe 50 mph the/a rear brake locks up and I slide to a stop like an idiot with enough smoke that a Comanche Indian got up from his breakfast table and wondered 
what I was saying. 

Probably as simple as a rear brake adjustment. at 52 I just don't need the drama. I had an intermittent stall/completely dead issue with the 510 for a couple years-radio
would cut in and out then it would die-stone dead. Wiggle main loom looking for a fix-starts up and goes 6 months. Finally found a crappy connection I made years ago
and I think I got it. Anyway-I'm thinking how badly do I need this truck? Insuring the 510, 00 Lifted Jeep, 92 240 sx (son), 00 Civic (daughter), 02 Mazda, 03 Corolla and 
the 620 makes 7. 

Clean truck-most of the paint job is amazing with some surface rust creeping back in the side bed seams and right front lower fender. Tidy under the hood, rebuilt seats,
carpet kit, new headliner and glass seals, dash cap, 18" Titans with newer treads. It's a little light on power-W58 round port head, stock carb. I had thoughts of popping 
one of my U60/U67 heads on with spare square manifold and a webber-but I'm in Smog Central so I don't know. 93,000 miles, couple of rattles, dash lights out, left rear
brake/turn signal issues-I have read about fixes but have not addressed yet. If there is no interest I will just keep it-registration due this month hence my posting. I have 
the signed clean title. Paid $5,000 for it-not looking to make money. Will attempt photos now....Thanks guys, Nestor  240-687-8247.8438373562_e735584daa_m.jpg8438374070_7dabc7ecd6_m.jpg8437290209_0eef63b3e4_m.jpg8438374308_e61e07eecf_m.jpg8437289699_2a1a67533b_m.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I hit the wrong button or what!?!  Anyway-rear wheel cylinder blew out so I will replace the gasket, wheel cylinders and rear shoes next weekend. To be clear on the short on power 

reference I mean to say that although my 510 and 620 both have L20B's with the large wheels it does not have the acceleration of the 510. It's a very nice ride and won't have those

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I can't take any restoration credit as I just bought it. Dash cover I think is a generic type as seen on E bay. Just resealed my intake-twice-and am much happier with the Victor Reinz/Beck Arnley style gasket than the Felpro as a side note. I have zero problems with Felpro headgakets. Rear shoes and wheel cylinders are done, remanufactured carb on the way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.