Paint

mmsonic

So many ideas are floating through my mind about my truck. I already have been considering an engine swap (or turbo most likely) for it, but the next project would be paint. It's the first thing everyone sees, (rims and engine follow next) and was wondering what to do about it.

I could take it to Maaco:unsure:, or I could paint it myself with the help of a cousin, who has a good spray gun, and has experience with show cars b4.

I've seen people paint a car with rustoleum, but would like to go with something a little bit longer lasting and professional.

So many projects, so little time.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a lot of work to get a rig painted nice but its worth it. I would recommend having it done with professional products but not necessarily maaco. You want to remove all corrosion near anything to be painted or it wont last very long. Go ugly for a bit and gradually do all the prep work and cover with KRYLON grey primer. Krylon is a great metal sealer,basically gets it ready for a final sanding before a full pro primer shot. Then you can take it to maaco.

where do you live?, i have worked in a bodyshop for the last 18 years so i think i know what i am doing (hehe). If you need help spraying or finding the right materials to get a good job let me know. I will do the spraying for free for ratsun members if needed..Carl

Just remember that most primers don't keep water out. It will rust from the inside out over time and you wont even know it. They make primers that keep water out but they are quite a bit more expensive. I wouldn't drive it in the rain but thats me. I had a few people at paint shops tell me this and have actually had it happen to me on another vehicle.

Apple valley is his location.

High desert so cal

where do you live?, i have worked in a bodyshop for the last 18 years so i think i know what i am doing (hehe). If you need help spraying or finding the right materials to get a good job let me know. I will do the spraying for free for ratsun members if needed..Carl

Well all I can say is that "ol Yeller" was painted by MAACO of Montclair, Calif. and I am sure most of the guys here will tell you that it is a sweet paint job....Now here is the deal tho...I did almost all of the prep work myself, stripping to a good base, not all the way to bare metal, then a coat of primer, then I sanded it by hand all over, then more primer, then i block sanded it, more primer, then i used an orbital sander all over, and dropped it off at Maaco...I also told them to "take their time, no rush at all", and I also requested that it be painted mid day on Wednesday........They worked with me and tolerated me being there almost daily, just lookin round......the cost was sooo reasonable and in going there over and over, I got to know the painter and the prep guys..............................the day before they painted it, I was there and the painter told me he was gonna do it "extra special " for me........Guys, he added about 3 extra coats of color and two extra clear coats.........needless to say, I lined his pocket well after I got the truck home....was well worth the extra days it took, and the many weeks of prep I put into it...................Don't be in a hurry and most shops will do you right...