620 KA24det build

RCStealth

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really happy with how the rims look, especially for the price.  I've been thinking about the color of the hood and rims as they sit, I believe that the dark green and white might be a killer combo.  That would save some money too...killin two birds with one stone, oh yeah!

The rims for the rear are coming tomorrow, I'll take some pics comparing the width with the front as they are 16x10's.

I'm hoping the front will be able to tuck well after I go to coilovers at some point.  They have no offset, but at this point I'm not sure if that will help or hurt.  Kinda just jumped on the first matching set I could find that was offered in the size I wanted.  I did this because of my desire to set up the rear as soon as possible, since this is a major part of the drivetrain/traction equation.  Anyway, the rear rims have -38mm (-1.5") offset, so it's the same story there as well...we shall see what works, hehehe.

Before I forget, the rims are Pro Comp Xtreme Rock Crawler Series 82's that I found on Summit Racing.  This was the best website I could find that offered the widest selection of widths and sizes in the stock lug pattern.  The only thing that might detract is the weight, front is 16lbs per rim.  Not totally sure about the rear yet, but shipping weight is 65lbs...holy momma!  I actually don't mind more weight in the rear as it will add some traction, at the sacrifice of some whp, but in the front it's kind of dead weight.

The stance might be a little goofy looking, but that's kind of the developing theme of this truck, which is "that looks pretty cool, but something's a little off".  Hehehe, makes me laugh thinking about how funky this truck is gonna be kind of a :confused: + B) = :rofl:.

Why are you doing such a narrow front wheel compared to the back?

1. Slammage + 245 front tires (max for 7" rims) = clearance :confused: (me and my buddies will make it work)

2. 600-700whp, which the motor is built for, is a lot of power

3. Don't want to spin the tires much; so 10" rims, wide ass tires, 4-link rear, LSD H223 and crossed fingers/toes are needed to have as much traction as possible

4. Don't need/want super-wide rims and tires on the front because I'm short and want the easiest steering possible that isn't power steering.

Yeah 7" wide actually isn't that wide, but at 10" wide you start to get into some seriously wide tire options.

Thanks Mirrorimg, I should be making a lot of progress by the end of this month, so I will have some updates soon.  

Well, did some digging into some available available tire options.  There are not as many wide tire options out there for a 16" rim as I was expecting, so if you read this learn from my mistake...go 17" or 18" and you've got a whole lot more to choose from!  I've settled on a 225/45 R16 for the front and 295/50 R16 for the rear because those are as big as I can find, I'm planning on getting BFGoodrich all around because the price is decent.  I just hope that will be enough rubber in the rear to hold the 600-700whp max.  A local tire shop was trying to sell me some discontinued 255/50 R16 tires that had been sitting for who knows how long...just had to scratch my head and say to myself, "Um, that's not gonna be enough rubber!  I need the magnum ;-p".  Anyway, here's one option for both the front and rear that I've found, these would get me to JCCS and back:

Front:

Front_zps09d4c720.jpg

Rear:

Rear_zps57bbc51a.jpg

The 295's that I was looking at are all sold out!  I can't find any "normal" tires that are remotely close in size so, street radials are the only option as of yet.

Found a Mickey Thompson 315/45 R16 Street radial that will fit!  12.4" of rubber baby, that should be enough...lol.  Can't find another tire that is more of a normal street tire, so at this point I'm not sure how to get to JCCS unless I drive there with the Mickey's :crying: .

For the front found a 245/50 R16 BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport, which is 9.62" of rubber.

I pulled the W58 head today, so I could get to the remaining bolts to pull the motor.  Just need shop space so I can have a place to pull and store the motor.  A friend told me about another 620 that is in better condition that is sitting in a junk yard, so I might pick that up to have some better parts to work with and another vehicle to part out and recoup some of that investment.

Going to crack open the H233 to check if everything is kosher sometime in the next couple of days and will take some pics of that process.  I'm also doing some research into ways to strengthen the diff/rearend as a whole.

The h233 shouldnt need much strengthening, maybe add a clutch disc or two and select a good ratio ring and pinion.

Do you know a good place to find the clutch disks?  Did some digging on the gear ratios, but I want to retain the strength of the larger pinion gear in the h233.

• 2 weeks later...

The tires I found on summit are Cooper Discoverer A/T 3, looking at various people's opinions of these I believe that they should hold up pretty well.  I'm going with 245/75 on the front and 315/75 on the rear.  That works out to be 9.6" of rubber on the front and 12.4" on the rear.

Here's a pic:

Cooper_zpseac92117.jpg

I think that the white lettering will match nicely with the white rims and green paint :thumbup: .  Shipping is gonna be $$$, but total cost will be around the $800 I'm willing to spend on four tires and these will certainly be able to rack up more miles than the street radials...lol.

• 2 weeks later...