280zx: E-brake not working good/working at all, tightened and no change in behavior

Jomz Shakes

okay this is on a 1982 280zx, there are rear calipers on these cars and i dont know how the e brake is applied mechanically.

i tightened the e-brake cables leading to both calipers, even though the handle was harder to pull up, it seems it only barely and i mean barely helped hold the rear tires.

i put it on a lift and with the e-brake held the right wheel doesnt spin unless given lots of force and the left side spins freely

i bought a new rear calipers and im hoping this will fix the issue....

im familiar with other rear calipers on some other cars that have mini brake shoes inside of them that eventually wear out, "is this the case"

i looked at the front rotors and they are bolted onto a hub, are the rear ones similar, is there mini brake shoes in the rear hubs???

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay it looks like i found out whats up with the rear left caliper, i grabbed it and there lots of play in the 2 big blts that hold the caliper together. i havent tightened it yet, but i will. even with that i think replacing the brake pads and cleaning the calipers will let the ebrake do its job, does this sound right

• 4 months later...

Its an extremely simple mechanical assembly, the ebrake in the ZX simply clamps the caliper by manual force vs hydrolic.

You can actuate it with your hand, simply pull the lever that the ebrake cable connects to on the caliper, it should clamp the pads against the rotor.

If that works, is the ebrake cable supplying pressure to that lever ? See if it has any play on it with the ebrake up.

according to service manual, the ebrake lever should be between 4-6 clicks to the top... is it adjusted this way?

The center part in front of the differential is where the ebrake adjust is, where the front cable meets the rear one. You adjusted it here, correct?

I have a spare new rear ebrake cable for a 83 ZX I accidentally ordered two ... maybe you could use it.