620 ignition

so i got in my truck last night and out of nowhere it just wouldn't start..... funny never had that prob before so i turn key a couple more times hear a click I'm thinking ok let me go hit starter a couple times.... poor starter lol i beat the crap out of it. it turns out i need a new ignition. still starts but very touchy so i need a new one soon and id rather give my money to someone here instead of ebay. let me know I'm in los angeles thanks. i need complete with key. thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you test the switch you have to make sure you need another? If it still starts sometimes, and other times you hear a single click when turning the key, my money would be on lack of current to the starter solenoid. Over time, the wiring in these old trucks degrades. When that happens, the resistance of the wire increases, resulting in a decreased current carrying capacity.

If this is the problem you're having, you can easily fix it with a $5 relay and about $5 worth of wire from your local auto parts store.

You can check your ignition switch by disconnecting the switched 12V wire from the starter solenoid, placing a voltmeter or multimeter between the wire (+ lead) and any known ground (I would recommend battery ground), then checking for at least 11V as a friend turns the key to start. It should be between 11.5V and 12.5V, depending on the condition of your battery. If you get no reading, it's probably your switch. If you get 12V, and it isn't ever cranking, it's probably the starter or solenoid. If you get anything less than 11V, and it starts sometimes, it's your wiring. Installing the relay should fix the problem.

Even if the wiring isn't your immediate problem, the relay will help your truck start perfectly every time, and is a cheap mod everyone should install. There is a thread in the how-to section that explains how to install it.

Oh, and if you still need an ignition switch, I have one I can sell you for $15 plus shipping. It's new, but not Nissan factory.. I forget the brand. It has 2 keys, no box.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.