510 auto trans slipping

71 510, L16 with 3Auto.

When taking off from stop, I have to either run 1st gear to high RPMs, let off gas completely and give it about 3 seconds for 2nd gear to catch...if I don't go high RPMs, when 2nd does catch, if I give it too much gas it slips...bad. Slipping not trying to down shift back to 1st....

Funny thing is, about halfway through the 2nd gear range, I can get on the gas, and it accelerator quite well, and had noticeable "grab" when going into third....

1st gear pulls strong, no slipping, as well as 3rd.....

What gives with the 2nd gear...

(I've located a KA24 w/ 5speed, but need to keep driving this auto till I get everything ( $$/parts/TIME)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is probably not much help for it. I've tried to do a little research for you but I'm on my phone and can't get any straight answers. Lol.

The jatco 3 speed auto is very similar to the ford c4 trans. Using bands and clutch packs to apply the various gear ratios. It sounds like your under drive band may be slipping, its actuated by what they call the servo and usually the seals on the servo are what goes. Now, the band is probably toast but you could try replacing the servo seals and adjusting the band.

Bad thing about autos is once they are at the point of slipping, they are usually in need of a rebuild.

Ill look some more in a bit. Dinner, kids, etc...

Thanks. Since yesterday, 2nd has went completely out. I can get up to 30mph in 1st, let off the throttle and it will grab 3rd, and with light throttle go on up from there.

I found what seems to be a good deal on a KA24 w/5speed on CL here in ATL.... still waiting on a call back concerning ECU from the guy, which will determine price willing to spend.

The Auto was going to be swapped eventually anyway, guess it's going to happen earlier than expected. Considering I want just a GOOD highway speed car, that is reliable and fuel efficient, with a little pep...I can't justify spending anything towards a transmission to put on this L16. Sounds like it's just a little more work the swap to a KA24 than it is to swap to a 5speed on the L16....

Here's to an upcoming SWAP!!!! :D