Benny's beater 620 tackle box

benny620

Any idea how hard it is to change the windscreen over? and if i boot out the busted one in mine can i re-use the seal when i drop the new window in as i wont need to cut it up?

This little score is just the bit of encouragement i needed, poor things been sitting in front yard collecting water since the 310 came back to life.

I'm hoping for at least a drivers door and fender, front apron would be nice but thats probly wishful thinking. basically everything that is better than mine will be swapped out, and anything I'm likely to need later on down the track such as :motor, gearbox, diff, front suspension parts etc. will be stored away under the house, the chassis and cab and whatever else is left will be scrapped.

its kind of a sad thought that i'll be parting out the only other 620 i've ever come across but its for a good cause.

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i watched the installer do it for me :D you'll need a new seal, the old one wont last the install and if it does then it'll very likely leak. rarespares have a listing, thats where i got mine

he fitted the seal to the glass, then rope inside the groove in the seal where the cab will hold it in, then popped the window over the cab, pushed down so the seal was hard against the cab then used his rope to pull the inside bit of the seal past the cab. made it look easy, ill bet itd take me five times as long if i tried it. installation was included in their price so i didnt argue

some things are better left to pros, my list is very very very very short but each to his own :D

• Like 1

confidence inspiring.... and there isn't a windscreen mob on ki either.. oh well, sink or swim i guess.

The thing is, it costs $90 each way to take a car to and from the mainland, hence why i need to source what i can locally and do whatever i can myself.

Guess i'll just watch a heap of how to videos on youtube, cross my fingers and hope for the best. i'll start scouting round for a windscreen rubber.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

So 3 years later this is still a thing. a very rusty neglected defected thing but a thing none the less.

Hasn't seen the road since it was defected around christmas 2012 (except maybe once for a sneaky late night skid)

Rust has pretty much consumed the old girl now, B pillars are completely fucked, Sill panels are basically non existant. pretty much everything I touched is fucked (passion fingers syndrome).

Most sensible folk would have scrapped it, Im not most sensible folk.

Sill panels arrived a few weeks back $150 for the pair, as did my mig welder. Today I ordered 2 new doors for the princely sum of $150 aud each and a new front apron for $45. They were out of stock on front fenders or I'd have 2 of those coming too.

B pillars, windscreen and a few other odds and ends will be removed from a donor vehicle I found abandoned in the scrub about 20 minute drive from home (i never did collect that other one from the middle of the island)

The mighty J15 has been removed in favour of a commodore 3.8l V6 (basically a rwd version of your buick v6) and a t700 which have yet to be fitted. I'm also planning to turbo it once its fitted and running reliably.

The KI motor club holds an annual sprint race which is basically a quarter mile marked out on a closed road with timing gear. hoping to chop a few slack jawed yokels in there v8 commodores and shit, also planning to enter a few khanacross events too.

I'll endevour to post a semi-comprehensive build thread as I crack on with it as it may be of some interest to you guys as you also have deriviants of the same gm V6 on your side of the pond.

And on another note, whilst visiting a property scouting out busted arse datsuns, I stumbled across a not quite barn-find 520!

Very much saveable condition, was running when it was parked up. The owner said he will part with it, I just need to butter him up before I make my insultingly low offer. The plan is to just preserve this one and take it for grandpa-spec sunday drives to the pub for lunch. Will post photos when I go and take some.

• Like 2