Alternator wiring question

twotoedbandit

So I decided I was gonna upgerade my really crappy alternator wiring. It was kinda hacked up by the previous owner so I figured I would clean it up. My question is this. Can I run a charge wire directly from the alternator to the battery? The car only seems to start when I run the direct wire to the battery and screw on the original alt wire as well. Why is this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I think I figured it out. The charge wire from the alternator is connected in conjunction with a wire from the plug on the alt that runs to the ignition coil. So in order to have the new wire running directly to the battery I must also hook up the old wire to bring power to the ignition coil and the plug on the alt. car is a 78 so it's internally regulated so I should be aces!

off the top of my head,

suzuki, mazda, datsun, honda, toyota regulators are all more or less the same but the wire colors/plugs may vary between them (but not by much)

the white wire (b+) goes directly to the battery anyway but will also need to be bridged off to the regulator. it may also be going directly to your fuse box or the rest of the electrics for the beast that is most probably why it wont run without it

the earth from the altinator is more or less the same as b+ and goes to the body and also bridges to the regulator

it is possible to have those wires go just to the battery but best bet is to bridge them both off to the regulator.

the regulator has

an ignition wire, (white with red stripe)

2x wires direct to the altinator,

and 1 wire is for the charge light (yellow)

i will have a look in a minute to confirm. hope this helps you

Ok. I think I figured it out. The charge wire from the alternator is connected in conjunction with a wire from the plug on the alt that runs to the ignition coil. So in order to have the new wire running directly to the battery I must also hook up the old wire to bring power to the ignition coil and the plug on the alt. car is a 78 so it's internally regulated so I should be aces!

well oh yes internally regulated ..... yes you can run the power wire direct to the battery! (B+)

charge wire is non essential but you will probably want to hook it up

you will have an ignition wire to the altinator