How do you remove the 280z rear bumper spacer/filler?

cksubs

The bumper itself will come off with no problem. It's the metal spacer/filler piece thing that's welded to the body that's giving me trouble.

Used snips to cut the 4 metal pieces underneath. Thought that would do it, and I'd be able to easily hammer it off. Nope, seems to have multiple welding points the entire width of the car. Got through one with a hack-saw blade inserted between the bumper and the car, but it took 30 minutes for one and there are probably 15+.

Any good advice?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Finally had some time to work on this, and got it off pretty easily.... although the remaining area is unfortunately now pretty rusty and will need some body work!

For anyone attempting to remove the space/filler metal piece, I took some heavy-duty tin snips and cut the metal piece into 20+ thin strips. Cut them all the way back to the edge of the car. Then took pliers and basically rip/twist the metal away. WEAR GLOVES. It's easy to take all the pieces off that aren't welded to the car. Just leave those ones on for the time being. You'll be left with 8 or so spot-welded strips. Use a horizontal or circular path with the pliers to break the welds.

Water definitely gets between the car and the spacer if the paint is bad at all, so be ready for some rust. But even so, looks SO much better without the rear bumper.

I just grabbed mine after I removed the bumper and wiggled it a lot until the spot welds broke. Then I used an angle grinder to smooth the weld spots, and sanded and primed the whole rear panel. Still have the indentions and bumper holes, but I kinda like 'em. Character and stuff.