A/C options

I'm trying to see if anyone's got some good knowledge of A/C systems who can recommend what options I have for my old Laurel. I have the original under dash a/c unit, labeled as "Aspen Mark King."

5972900136_9fef34f9a8_z.jpg

The original (huge) compressor went away with the engine swap:

5063595007_e1e9ab57a4_z.jpg

I've kept the A/C compressor with the SR20DET and would like to get the A/C working again. But what I am wondering is if anyone happens to know if I can get the original A/C under dash unit working with the SR's compressor? I'd like to keep the original one but if need be, do I have to get a more modern under dash unit?

Any advice or recommendations would be great, I don't know very little about A/C systems (other than the main components).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the A/C was functional before the swap you should have no problems using the new compressor in the old system. Just hook the high and low side lines up properly to the compressor add oil and charge it. Remember that if you are charging with R134a you need to charge it to about 75% of the systems R12 capacity.

Thanks for the advice! I've been worried that the newer compressor would be too much for the old system. I'll have to find a place that can clean/service/check the old unit, just to verify it's in working order.