kneesamo's 4x4 body swap

My 4x4 was a 1979 when I got, meaning it would have to be smogged down here in california. Well I friggin hate smog, so something had to be done. Luckily I had a 74 pick-up that was been sitting around since id stolen its motor and trans for the 73. A perfect candidate for a body swap. Check out the series of pics on flickr.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kneesamo/sets/72157604037250157/

The swap was pretty sraight forward, major hick-ups being the transfer case contacting the underside of the 74 cab, remedied by doubling up the stock body bushings/spacers. In the future it like to lathe out some newer bushings/spacers from nylon or some sort of polymer.

Another issue was that the gas tanks on the two trucks were mounted differently, 79 to the frame, 74 to the bed. The 74 truck bed bottomed out on the top of 79 gas tank. Remedied by notching one of those support cross beams under the bed.

The wiring was a little pain in the ass. The cab and front harness were swaped from the 79 to the 74 body, the engine harness stayed with motor, but the taillight/gas/tranny harness is from the 74. The only splicing done was near the connection under the passengers seat. The plugs look the same, they plug together, and have the same color coded wires, but they are pinned differently. So all that needs to be done is to use plugs with the same pin configuration and splice the wires with the same color codes together between them.

Thats about it, any questions are welcome!

BEN

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic