Z22 compatibility ?

Survivor

Hello all! Forgive me for starting a new thread, but I can't find all the info I'm looking for..................

The transmission in my 81 720 2WD has died, and many parts of the body are rusting completely through..........but the Z22 engine is still in good shape. I need a 4 wheel drive for the country I live in, so rather than find or rebuild a tranny for the 81, I'd like to find a compatible 4 wheel drive with a bad engine.

I know for sure that my engine will work in 81 and 82, probably not in 80 or earlier, but what about the 83-86 Nissans? I'm not interested in any fabbing or extreme mods. Any help is appreciated!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z22 will work in the 83+.....passenger MM and oil pan have to be changed

I'm assuming I'd need the oil pan and passenger motor mount from a Z20 or Z24(probably dead in the pickup I'd be looking for)?

If you were going to put the Z22 in an 84 lets say...you would need the 84 pan (83+ up).

There are 3 different positions for the front diffs...80...81/82..83+

The Z24 block is 3/4 " taller......so ...you are also gonna need the Z24 or the Z22 MM for the passenger side... can't remember which

Driver side MMs are the same length

I'm assuming I'd need the oil pan and passenger motor mount from a Z20 or Z24(probably dead in the pickup I'd be looking for)?

From a Z24....just grab both MMs and the 4x4 pan....and maybe the passenger side Z22/Z20 MM

You might be able just to switch the insulators and the passenger length MM...?

The early 720 MM insulators have a tab on it which hooks over the top of the frame, don't think they will line up to the perch holes in the latter 720s frame