Need Rear coilovers front 280zx brakes and webber datsun 510 l16

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an issue with rear coilovers. The issue is that the damper (shock) mount on the rear swingarms was designed to take the damping loads, and the sppring perch was designed to take the spring loads. Damping loads on a car are MUCH lower than spring loads. What this means, is that when you put coilovers on a stock 510 rear swingarm, you are putting way more load into a part than it was designed for. (While it may still be under the design stress, engineers use safety factors for a reason, and it's that we cannot accurately predict the actual loading that a part will see), which means that the damper mount on the swingarm is way more likely to fail, resulting in (likely) crashing your 510, bad news for everybody. Now it is possible to beef up this mounting point with doubler plates. But that means pulling the swingarms, disassembling them, and then fabbing and welding on doublers, which is more work than it's worth unless you NEED the adjustability. I would say, just figure out what springs work well, and give you the rate and the ride height you want, and run the with some yellow Konis, there's a good article in DQ 10.4 (Dime Quarterly, Volume 10 Issue 4) about running Konis for the rear of a mustang on a 510. As far as what springs, I don't know, to find that out: search, read, and if you can't find an answer, ask.

Also, It's Weber, not Webber.

I was about to say what jefe de jefes said about the complete struts. The 280ZX struts take a bit of work, but they're worth it (not that I've gotten around to doing it yet myself, not that I haven't looked for the parts).

Good luck, and I don't have any of the parts you need, but I'll let you know if I see any (on CL or whatever)

I have an issue with rear coilovers. The issue is that the damper (shock) mount on the rear swingarms was designed to take the damping loads, and the sppring perch was designed to take the spring loads. Damping loads on a car are MUCH lower than spring loads. What this means, is that when you put coilovers on a stock 510 rear swingarm, you are putting way more load into a part than it was designed for. (While it may still be under the design stress, engineers use safety factors for a reason, and it's that we cannot accurately predict the actual loading that a part will see), which means that the damper mount on the swingarm is way more likely to fail, resulting in (likely) crashing your 510, bad news for everybody. Now it is possible to beef up this mounting point with doubler plates. But that means pulling the swingarms, disassembling them, and then fabbing and welding on doublers, which is more work than it's worth unless you NEED the adjustability. I would say, just figure out what springs work well, and give you the rate and the ride height you want, and run the with some yellow Konis, there's a good article in DQ 10.4 (Dime Quarterly, Volume 10 Issue 4) about running Konis for the rear of a mustang on a 510. As far as what springs, I don't know, to find that out: search, read, and if you can't find an answer, ask.

Also, It's Weber, not Webber.

I was about to say what jefe de jefes said about the complete struts. The 280ZX struts take a bit of work, but they're worth it (not that I've gotten around to doing it yet myself, not that I haven't looked for the parts).

Good luck, and I don't have any of the parts you need, but I'll let you know if I see any (on CL or whatever)

Thanks for the help man.!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.