1980 Datsun 510 wagon from "HL" ...driveline problems

Hello,

I am new to Ratsun but have learnt a lot from the community posts, Thanks!

I recently acquired a 1980 510 HL wagon from my grandmother. Its a straight axle rear, I hear thats called the HL model, and its been an adventure. I have found that its not that easy to locate parts for. The first thing that went wrong was the radiator blowing, I was not too upset because it was probably stock. After hunting high and low I found nothing so I did some research and found a 1990 Acura radiator was able to make it adapt (I hear Ford focus rads can work too). Beyond the basic replacements of head lights and alternator it was alright for a bit. So one day I had the bright idea to swap the stock 4 speed for a 5 speed.... and the fun began!

Needless to say I thought Craigslist was a good place to start, how hard was it to find a 5 speed for a z20s? Well as I am sure you all know after I bought a NapZ 5 speed from a truck and put it in I was not happy with removing my passenger seat so I could shift...lol

So I had a friend who I had helped a lot on his 620 swap bell housings with an old 4 speed L series he had.... Viola! Now I am drilling the cross member to fit the Z series trans mount, and of course with the tail shaft being longer I need to shorten the driveline. This is where I am running into trouble with my budget.

I had heard a 510 sedan driveline would work, or that from a 610, even a 720 if it was a solid shaft...but I have not located any of these parts. I think the U joints on the stock driveline are difficult to replace and I was told to change the yolkes so "newer style" U joints would fit, but I have not reached that point. I would like to find a donor driveline that I could adapt in case something is wrong I could swap back the 4 speed and be stock again. I know that sounds funny to do this...but if what I changed on this car goes wrong and I cannot put it back to the way it was when she gave it to me, I would never hear the end of it....thats if I lived that long...LOL oh well thats how family is sometimes... anyway any adaptable parts, ideas, ect. I would be greatful for.

I will have to get pics up soon of the wagon, and my 4x4 620 (jeep front end and T/C) with a Buick 4.1 V6...

Thanks!

Chris

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.